What qualifies an outsider to be a Sheffielder

putting up with 3rd rate football teams Liverpool is smaller than Sheffield but they would not put up with teams as pathetic as Wednesday and United

There's more to life than football. Maybe not in Liverpool though.

If you grew up (as opposed to birth) then I suppose identifying as a Sheffielder would be fair enough.

I don't identify as a Sheffielder, didn't move here until 19 but have now lived more than half my life here. I love Sheffield but I am not a Sheffielder.

I am still born and bred Hull. Which is great because I love my pattie butty with american chip spice (which is nowt to do with america and everything to do with a Hull burger bar with a pink car on the rooftop and a legend called John Science) AND a good splash of Hendos. Can't get more multicultural fusion food than that!

(The pattie is as ubiquitous and proudly regarded in Hull as the fishcake is in Sheffield) - Could I be at least an honorary Sheffielder since even though I don't eat fish and am not from Sheffield I still understand what a fishcake should be? :D

its patties up here to :rant:

theyre FISHCAKES YAAAAAAAAABLEEEUURRGGHHH GRRRRRRRR

The language. You will have to learn to speak the language. Truly unique and only south Yorkshire people can speak it. It should have been used in WW2 to confuse the Germans, nobody else in England can understand it !! Welsh does n't come close.

I moved from Sheffield when I was 17 or 18, but I have brothers and sisters there so I keep up to date. Like riding a bike, you never forget.

Keep in mind, if you have relatives in Potters Bar or Peterborough, once you speak "Sheffieldspeak," they will not be able to converse with you ever again !

The language. You will have to learn to speak the language. Truly unique and only south Yorkshire people can speak it. It should have been used in WW2 to confuse the Germans, nobody else in England can understand it !! Welsh does n't come close.

I moved from Sheffield when I was 17 or 18, but I have brothers and sisters there so I keep up to date. Like riding a bike, you never forget.

Keep in mind, if you have relatives in Potters Bar or Peterborough, once you speak "Sheffieldspeak," they will not be able to converse with you ever again !

The thing is Sheffielders do not realise how strange the accent is to out siders.

In America you are often mistaken for being Australian .

I have often been asked where the hell does that accent come from especially after a Narden wot tha doin na out birst.

Bring my son home to Sheffield, only to see the Blades mind , mam has sisters but we don't see eye to eye , but when we went Shopping , he turned to me and said did you understand anything she said , just laughed and said understood every word why ? Because I couldn't understand a word she said in his Irish accent. :hihi:

Anyone from outside isn't a sheffielder!

My son can never be from Sheffield, though he loves it , cause he's a paddie , me though , A'cliffe, Norfolk park , then Skyedge, though my accents almost gone after close to 25 yrs away full time ,though come over at least once a year.

Suprised knowone has said the main one Hates Leeds with a passion

Suprised knowone has said the main one Hates Leeds with a passion

That's a given , Both Leeds & the red rose county .

Hollyconway;

you are mistaken. Your son "Was" a paddie. If Sheffield has been his home for 25 years and he loves it, he is a Sheffielder alright ! All paddies are welcome.

And no, you don't have to be living in Sheffield to be a Sheffielder ! Your heart just has to be in the right place, and visit as often as you can !

When he gets a round in.

Hollyconway;

you are mistaken. Your son "Was" a paddie. If Sheffield has been his home for 25 years and he loves it, he is a Sheffielder alright ! All paddies are welcome.

And no, you don't have to be living in Sheffield to be a Sheffielder ! Your heart just has to be in the right place, and visit as often as you can !

You may have got hold of the wrong end of the stick my ould flower ,

I've lived out of Sheffield since 83 , my son lives at home , here in Dublin ,

He loves Sheffield ( why wouldn't he) , mostly to do with the shopping in Meadowhall mind .

Your right you don't have to live in Sheffield to be a Sheffielder , when I come through that train tunnel , on the way from Manchester , and Dore , Abbeydale, Bramall lane , and the city centre comes into view , every good and bad childhood memory comes flooding back , I love our city with a passion,

but , work , family, and a house mean I'll only ever be a visitor to our city .

My father (R.I.P.) and all his brothers , all Irish came over and helped build

our city , some of his Irish mates still live in Sheffield.