Fridge freezer repair anyone?

not sure if its in the right section, Mods please move it if it isn't thanks.

hi does anyone know a decent fridge freezer repair company/man, i have a DAEWOO frs-u20dcb american style fridge freezer.

Problem - the freezer section has stopped freezing food the higher in the compartment you go the warmer it gets.

i've been searching via google for the last 2 days and have found a common problem with this model that explains my symptoms.

there is a fan at the top of the freezer that circulates the cold air around the freezer and also blows air into the fridge section, its located behind the ice maker unit at the top of my freezer.

i know the fans are between £30 and £40 to buy, and would have a go at it myself but the wife is a bit worried.

i would like to know how much including fan would a repairman charge to fix the problem (if that is the problem)

Thanks

hi does anyone know a decent fridge freezer repair company/man, i have a DAEWOO frs-u20dcb american style fridge freezer.

Problem - the freezer section has stopped freezing food the higher in the compartment you go the warmer it gets.

i've been searching via google for the last 2 days and have found a common problem with this model that explains my symptoms.

there is a fan at the top of the freezer that circulates the cold air around the freezer and also blows air into the fridge section, its located behind the ice maker unit at the top of my freezer.

i know the fans are between £30 and £40 to buy, and would have a go at it myself but the wife is a bit worried.

i would like to know how much including fan would a repairman charge to fix the problem (if that is the problem)

Thanks

There is a listing in the Yellow Pages for a Fridge Freezer breakdown service.

I've not used them before but you can contact them on: 0114 258 0156.

The company is called: Refrigeration Breakdown Sheffield.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Personally, I'd do it myself, should be a straightforward swop. However, if you want to pay someone, you would probably be paying £100 plus VAT for supply and fit.

Thanks

These type of jobs are often easy to do yourself if you know how to use basic tools and basic electrical safety rules.

If you feel you can do it, it will probably mean you can handle it. Women (wife) are very protective of the home.

You make wrong connections and a fire could start in the freezer.

Only do it when you know these very basic rules, easy to learn but very important.

Are you confident it's the fan that's faulty? My unit is a Candy and the fan is accessible though a removable cover at the back of the compartment.

Frost-free units are controlled by thermistor sensors, an electronic control unit, a heater matrix and the fan. The fan is probably a 240v unit so can be tested on its own, the wiring to it usually runs back to a plug on the electronic control unit.

Sometimes the ducting, or even the fan itself can be blocked by ice but this is usually when the de-frost system is faulty.

I am not an engineer, just gleaned the info after my own unit developed a fault.

Thanks for the info so far guys, ive looked in the service manual and there is a step by step guide for getting to the fan, and its a simple plug and play and swap over of fan blades.

All symptoms point to faulty fan carosio, i've already sourced a new motor out which is a lot cheaper than i thought at £25.99 with free postage instead of £40.

I will probably have a go at it myself, i know after the unit has been off for a while it takes upto 72 hours to become fully functioning again, so it'll be a long wait to see if its worked properly, I know when the fan goes faulty it usually doesn't just stop it works intermittently usually after the door has been opened for about 10 mins after then stops and begins to warm up again.

If its still doing it after i replace the fan at least i can rule that out.

Do it.

I once fixed the faulty power steering of a friend for £25 after investigating and getting parts from internet. While the cheapest quote she had was £600.

I have the same fridge freezer and had the issue 6 months ago, got it fixed for £110, i think it was a company called Aztec or something similar sounding

Yep the fan, it's a common fault on these fridges, you could try and do it your self and save £70, takes around half an hour but the worst part is removing the back panel on the fridge

---------- Post added 21-06-2015 at 13:56 ----------

A-Z tec did mine