One North: North of England- Transport

Abridged Government statement by Lord Ahmad (Under-Secretary of State, Department for Transport and Home Office) with the emphasis on Sheffield.

"... for decades, transport investment in the north has lagged behind London and the south-east. Successive Governments have failed to provide the vision—or, indeed, the funding—needed to bring the north’s infrastructure up to standard.

We are already committed to £13 billion of transport investment across the north in this Parliament alone. That will include improving roads, rail and local transport.

In just two years, we will start building HS2.

We are also looking at the potential for speeding up the line between Leeds and Sheffield.

We will make an announcement about phase 2 in the autumn.

... we also need to build a new east-west line... (a) linking Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield and Hull.

... we will look at the potential for a new road tunnel under the Pennines between Sheffield and Manchester, possibly linked with a new rail tunnel."

my edit

full statement

... we will look at the potential for a new road tunnel under the Pennines between Sheffield and Manchester, possibly linked with a new rail tunnel."

Blimey - now that would be joined up thinking in action if they built one tunnel for both purposes!

..and then after ten minutes we will put the proposal in the bin due to it costing the earth.

Quite oddly I was actually thinking earlier about the benefits of re-opening the woodhead train line.

Especially with a local stopping train - you'd give alot of residents of North Sheffield really good commuter access to the centre of Manchester, offering alot more employment opportunities.

Too much 'looking at' there form my liking. They have 'looked at' a lot of this for a long time now and decided 'nah....'

"We have considered the proposals, and instead decided to spend another 30bn quid extending the London underground system AGAIN"

"We have considered the proposals, and instead decided to spend another 30bn quid extending the London underground system AGAIN"

I know. Personally I don't give a **** about HS2, 3 etc. What I do care about is getting home from a gig at the weekend in a city the same metropolitan borough after about 10.30PM. Had to leave the Stewart Lee thing at the Lyceum early last week because of this.

Yet in my complaint to Northern Rail they said they couldn't get access to the lines later at night due to 'engineering workd'. What? EVERY weekend? What about all these places that run trains through the night? How do they cope? My escaltion of this to my local MP got me pretty much what the OP posted.