Are Ikea trying to re-educate us in the pronunciation of the name?

It's abit late to correct us now tho, abit like Dacia trying to convince us to pronounce their name different too.

Well to be fair, that is how you pronounce Dacia. 'ci' in slavik languages is pronounced 'ch' so it's us who've been pronouncing it wrong. Ikea is probably different as there is no reason it couldn't be pronounced eye-kea or ick-ea.

I got really confused with Jif and Cif.

Pancakes just aren't the same with cream cleaner on.

I've always called lidyl lidle as in idle with an L in front. Apparently it's liddle but I just can't call it that for some reason. Mental block perhaps. Eye-key-a will always be that to me as well.

Well to be fair, that is how you pronounce Dacia. 'ci' in slavik languages is pronounced 'ch' so it's us who've been pronouncing it wrong. Ikea is probably different as there is no reason it couldn't be pronounced eye-kea or ick-ea.

Yea thats all well and good, but the British public really don't like being told how to pronounce something, especially by 'johnny foreigner'

So they're ******* in the wind IMO, no-one will take notice.

Yea thats all well and good, but the British public really don't like being told how to pronounce something, especially by 'johnny foreigner'

So they're ******* in the wind IMO, no-one will take notice.

Agreed and the main point of language is to be understood. Eye-kea, Ick-ea matters not as I'm sure everyone will know you mean the meatball place!

Agreed and the main point of language is to be understood. Eye-kea, Ick-ea matters not as I'm sure everyone will know you mean the meatball place!

What?...With all the peculiarities of pronunciation and words spelt the same, but said differently, and with totally different meanings, that there are in the English language?

What?...With all the peculiarities of pronunciation and words spelt the same, but said differently, and with totally different meanings, that there are in the English language?

Well the main point of English is to confuse foreigners! :hihi:

Well the main point of English is to confuse foreigners! :hihi:

Ah...there is that...Good ploy :hihi::hihi:

Oh god, here we go again with one of Pete's random thoughts.

Watching the TV, I notice the new Ikea advert now has the voice over which says the name and pronounces it as ICK-EA.

I've always referred to it as EYE-KIA

In fact I'm sure some of their older adverts referred to it the same as me.

Yes I know it's completely irrelevant, but how do you refer to the store?

Maybe we have been pronouncing it incorrectly for all those blissfully ignorant years.

Maybe we have been pronouncing it incorrectly for all those blissfully ignorant years.

For me, I'll stay blissfully ignorant, even though it now appears that I, and the rest of the country (mostly) has been pronouncing it wrongly (blissfully or not) all these years. :hihi:

For me, I'll stay blissfully ignorant, even though it now appears that I, and the rest of the country (mostly) has been pronouncing it wrongly (blissfully or not) all these years. :hihi:

The thing is, ICK-EA are at fault here, if they are wanting us now all to suddenly start pronouncing it correctly because I distinctly remember their ads having the wrong pronunciation in them for years. Didn't they notice? :loopy: