Are Ikea trying to re-educate us in the pronunciation of the name?

Oh god, here we go again with one of Pete's random thoughts.

Watching the TV, I notice the new Ikea advert now has the voice over which says the name and pronounces it as ICK-EA.

I've always referred to it as EYE-KIA

In fact I'm sure some of their older adverts referred to it the same as me.

Yes I know it's completely irrelevant, but how do you refer to the store?

Exactly the same as you do........ and I'll not alter the way I say it.

Same as you, I just assumed the Ickea thing was Swedish or something lol. Wouldn't worry about it!

Same as you, I just assumed the Ickea thing was Swedish or something lol. Wouldn't worry about it!

Yes it is Swedish....But for years it seems I and everyone else has been pronouncing it wrong, and now it seems we're being 'educated' in its correct pronunciation, and it just irritates me. Little things tend to ;)

I've always referred to it as Eye kea, however i've dealt directly with Ikea and some of the nationalities who supply them(Lativan,Belhium,Luxembourg,Holland) for the past 15 years and they all pronounce it ICKEA

A brilliant move. With little or no effort, a company has got us talking about it.

Also, with all the daft names of their products, the company's name is small beer.

Exactly the same as you do........ and I'll not alter the way I say it.

I bet you still call Beijing - Peking!

It's abit late to correct us now tho, abit like Dacia trying to convince us to pronounce their name different too.

It's abit late to correct us now tho, abit like Dacia trying to convince us to pronounce their name different too.

That was my thoughts too.

I remember when I was younger the pronunciation of Nike changed, it became Nikey. Wasn't there similar debate over the pronunciation of Adidas?

I bet you still call Beijing - Peking!

:hihi::hihi:

I remember when I was younger the pronunciation of Nike changed, it became Nikey. Wasn't there similar debate over the pronunciation of Adidas?

Yes I still refer to Nike as Nike, rather than Nikee....Adidas I'm not sure about...I say it exactly as it's spelt...Not Adeedas.