Bird of prey near Totley

Cycling towards the city on Abbeydale Road South, by the Industrial Hamlet, I looked right and above the trees I could see what looked like a large bird of prey circling. I could see it for about 10 secs then it folded its wings and dropped out of sight. Has anyone else seen this? What sort of bird is it?

Cycling towards the city on Abbeydale Road South, by the Industrial Hamlet, I looked right and above the trees I could see what looked like a large bird of prey circling. I could see it for about 10 secs then it folded its wings and dropped out of sight. Has anyone else seen this? What sort of bird is it?

Kestrels hover in the air in one place then suddenly drop, then again they're not particularly big.

There were three buzzards that flew over Ecclesall woods near us just off Abbeydale road near the beauchief at about 6.45 this evening. Maybe one of them?

There were three buzzards that flew over Ecclesall woods near us just off Abbeydale road near the beauchief at about 6.45 this evening. Maybe one of them?

Ah, you've got me thinking now. Sparrowhawks visit my garden and take sparrows, blackbirds etc. But yesterday morning (16th June) I found a pile of feathers on the lawn that looked like wood pigeon's. I thought 'Blimey, it must have been a big bird to kill and carry off a wood pigeon!' I live near Graves Park.

Edited by Miss Cheevus

could be a red kite seen a few over last month

So you were riding along for about 10 secs looking at a bird in the sky? and cyclists wonder why they get slagged off on here:rant:

So you were riding along for about 10 secs looking at a bird in the sky? and cyclists wonder why they get slagged off on here:rant:

Cyclists have worked a sneaky little trick that not many car drivers seem to know about. They can either slow down and stop if they need to do something that takes their concentration off the road. :hihi:

Strangely, I've noticed things (birds, horses, sheep, deer, you name it) whilst both cycling and driving. It's like my brain is processing my entire field of vision, and I have the ability to move my eyes and head.

Imagine how dangerous it is though, at a massive 10mph, to glance away from the clear road ahead. It's a bloodbath waiting to happen. Fortunately when I do the same in my car at far higher speeds, I'm much safer.

That would be such a killer argument-clincher if only the OP had said they were staring at it for about 10 seconds. But they didn't, they said they could see it. If you use the road and are unable to notice things in your peripheral vision and potentially even look, analyse and think rationally about those things whilst moving then I suspect you are the one who is causing a danger.

I used to live near the river further up Totley and often saw a Heron which eventually would fly off in the direction of the mill dam by the Hamlet, meal-time methinks.

your coat's hanging by the door. Collect it on your way out into the real world away from your keyboard and big-mouth a person face-to-face ... if you fancy yerself as a hero