The Bottom Welly, Shalesmoor

I`m not comfortable asking for samples when it`s really busy tbh; too polite, mostly.

If it`s Wild or Siren, I`ll always dive in for a half! :love:

It should be up to the bar staff to offer a free taster at their discretion, to those not sure whether they will enjoy a beer after asking about it.

Not for drinkers to automatically demand a free sample of everything before spending any money.

`Automatically demanding` that sounds bad, if it`s really a thing. In a customer service industry, clients should be catered for....

Can I have a taste of that 50 yr old Balvenie please?

I very rarely ask for tasters unless I'm confuddled by the choice and can't see what is being served. Even then I'll probably hone in on two then choose between them.

A nice big blackboard with descriptions of the beers never goes wrong, places like The Wellington in Brum or The Grove in Hudd will tell you what style every beer is as well...because there are some people in this world who do not like hops.....mad I know.

Exactly. Read the blackboard, ask for advice then put yout hand in your pocket.

Customer rights extend to the rights of paying 'beer explorers' not being obliged to subsidise freeloaders.

Odd that we're discussing this on a thread about the one pub that doesn't do free samples.

I`m not comfortable asking for samples when it`s really busy tbh; too polite, mostly.

If it`s Wild or Siren, I`ll always dive in for a half! :love:

Or Buxton...Or Marble...Or RedWillow...Or Beavertown...Or any of the really decent craft breweries that for some reason seem to pass Sheffield by and head straight for Leeds more often than not.

Breweries don't pass cities by, pubs in cities fail to order them!

Anyway, all of those are regular in Sheffield's 'fifth best pub' ;)

Breweries don't pass cities by, pubs in cities fail to order them!

Anyway, all of those are regular in Sheffield's 'fifth best pub' ;)

Indeed. To be honest, the one brewery I really wish we could see more of in Sheffield at the moment is the consistently excellent Hawkshead.

Indeed. To be honest, the one brewery I really wish we could see more of in Sheffield at the moment is the consistently excellent Hawkshead.

They are very good. I can recommend a trip to their brewery. Great place.

Still there..however the range of beers is getting better..The Black Iris Stab in the Dark was very palatable

word on the street is the Cask & Cutler/Bottom Welly is finally closing on Saturdayfor refurb and upon reopening will be under new management

Can I have a taste of that 50 yr old Balvenie please?

I very rarely ask for tasters unless I'm confuddled by the choice and can't see what is being served. Even then I'll probably hone in on two then choose between them.

A nice big blackboard with descriptions of the beers never goes wrong, places like The Wellington in Brum or The Grove in Hudd will tell you what style every beer is as well...because there are some people in this world who do not like hops.....mad I know.

You can't always tell until you taste it though. I don't get samples just to top up a pint, there's been several occasions when I've tried something and thought 'no thanks' and got something else instead.