The Bottom Welly, Shalesmoor

Think along the lines of The Sheaf View and The Blake...

Although not too keen on the Neepsend Blonde replacing the Acorn Blonde in the above 2 pubs as a "session beer". Too citrus-y for my palette - will have to switch back to the Kelham Easy Rider

Not had it but cost is king. When Bradfield upped the price of Farmer`s Blonde by a few quid (it was still relatively cheap), they refused to keep taking it at the Sheaf despite selling huge quantities of it. A deal was then struck for Acorn to supply their blonde instead. Brewing your own (Neepsend) cuts out the middle man altogether, cherching.

It's not Forum Kirk; it's the other Mr Sheffield Beer.

I'm really confused who are we talking about

I'm really confused who are we talking about

James Birkett. He who made the New Barrack Tavern what it is. He who opened the Sheaf View. He who overturned a restrictive covenant and reopened The Blake.

IMHO he's done more for Sheffield pubs over the past 15 years than anyone.

I for one welcome my Canadian overlord

James Birkett. He who made the New Barrack Tavern what it is. He who opened the Sheaf View. He who overturned a restrictive covenant and reopened The Blake.

IMHO he's done more for Sheffield pubs over the past 15 years than anyone.

I for one welcome my Canadian overlord

He knows how to run a pub.

But others also do. Don't get me wrong, I like Sheaf / Blake but The Brothers Arms is also a grand pub and a wee bit better on price. Not all about the price but when competition has the unfair advantage of the sun shining just right of an evening over the beer garden; the place being run on similar lines....

I keep the Sheaf as my regular for the people in there now rather the place itself. If meeting friends and choosing a venue, then the Brothers is starting to win out.

But still....be interesting to see how the welly / cask / whatever does. I liked it as a neepsend/kelham crawl but wouldn't stay for more than one and a swift half. Hopefully it won't lose all character but be a little more welcoming to all

Edited by Squiggs

I like the pub (and even the clientele) exactly as it is - the only reason I don't go in much is that the Little Ale Cart beers are nowhere near as much to my taste as they were a few years ago. Need more hops.

I like the pub (and even the clientele) exactly as it is - the only reason I don't go in much is that the Little Ale Cart beers are nowhere near as much to my taste as they were a few years ago. Need more hops.

what he said. Ale Cart beers aren't as good as they used to be, and in the same time the benchmark has been raised considerably, such that LAC have gone from top quartile to average

what he said. Ale Cart beers aren't as good as they used to be, and in the same time the benchmark has been raised considerably, such that LAC have gone from top quartile to average

Dunno, I quite liked that pale one they did with the train pic on the clip....:rolleyes:

Dunno, I quite liked that pale one they did with the train pic on the clip....:rolleyes:

Let's not forget the tickers who argue with the staff about whether or not it's the correct train picture on the pumpclip.

Let's not forget the tickers who argue with the staff about whether or not it's the correct train picture on the pumpclip.

By "ticker" do you mean a gricer or one of the RATs?

(Or both?)

By "ticker" do you mean a gricer or one of the RATs?

(Or both?)

I believe that there is a fair bit of overlap between the two groups.

Pathetic, wasn't even the right gauge. #trainfail

I believe that there is a fair bit of overlap between the two groups.

Do you happen to have any means of showing that as a graphical representation by any chance?