What should a British Muslim do?

The burqa gets in the way of this.

You can't even be sure that the person wearing one is even male or female which has obvious security concerns.

Still don't quite fully understand this. If you're trying to keep something secure, a veiled face has concerns. I get that. But for the average person in the street - what is obviously concerning you? It doesn't make a difference to me whether a person in a burqa is male, female, or Piers Morgan. Doesn't affect me one bit.

Followers of the Islamic faith are not upholding their end of the deal

Some. You missed that very important word out.

Some critics of Islam are not keeping their beliefs within the parameters of what is legal.

Still don't quite fully understand this. If you're trying to keep something secure, a veiled face has concerns. I get that. But for the average person in the street - what is obviously concerning you? It doesn't make a difference to me whether a person in a burqa is male, female, or Piers Morgan. Doesn't affect me one bit.

Its just anti social and puts a barrier up. Face to face recognition/communication is a natural part of social interaction in a normal healthy functioning society.

Tell me how a culture that makes women cover their faces promotes equality.

It doesn't. People should be free to live their lives without religion dictating terms to them. But, if some people choose to do so - I find it hard to argue against it.

I'll declare my position, because I grossly dislike the Burqa. I just find it disconcerting. As a man I also find it insulting, a logic that this woman is so attractive that I cannot control myself - and thus she needs to hide herself away. To protect her and myself. Her from attack - and myself from sin. It's religious logic at its worst.

Yet, I still can't quite bring myself to call for a ban. It doesn't hurt me or affect me directly in my life.

Its just anti social and puts a barrier up. Face to face recognition/communication is a natural part of social interaction in a normal healthy functioning society.

Yes- and tell that to the millions who now pretty much communicate via twitter/email/whats app/text/FB...so your point is pointless.

Also, tell me- if you had to speak to a female who sat opposite you and was wearing a tight fitting top, clearly was big breasted...where would your eyes be...I doubt it'll be her face.:hihi:

Hence the hijab for believing Muslim females is a guard and protection for her. Period.

Its her way of telling people like you- I don't need to conform to your ways and parade my body for you to ogle at. She is free and not consumed by consumerism- how to look,what size, what to wear etc.

Edited by Guest

[QUOTE]

Yes- and tell that to the millions who now pretty much communicate via twitter/email/whats app/text/FB...so your point is pointless.

Some people live in the real world away from devices. :roll:

Also, tell me- if you had to speak to a female who sat opposite you and was wearing a tight fitting top, clearly was big breasted...where would your eyes be...I doubt it'll be her face.:hihi:

Hence the hijab for believing Muslim females is a guard and protection for her. Period.

Its her way of telling people like you- I don't need to conform to your ways and parade my body for you to ogle at. She is free and not consumed by consumerism- how to look,what size, what to wear etc.

Its not dress like a prostitute or cover yourself with a Burqa; there's an inbetween you know. :roll:

Its not dress like a prostitute or cover yourself with a Burqa; there's an inbetween you know. :roll:

Women in this country have the freedom to wear what they want. I want to keep it that way.

Edited by Halibut

Women in this country have the freedom to wear what they want. I want to keeo it that way.

Being an apologist for oppression whilst implying I'm some sort of fascist dictator. Cleverly done there.

I should mention, because I haven't up to now, that I don't call for a ban on wearing a Burqa, but it should be discouraged. Don't tell me every Burqa wearer is choosing to and is happy doing so.

Edited by Guest

Being an apologist for oppression whilst implying I'm some sort of fascist dictator. Cleverly done there.

I should mention, because I haven't up to now, that I don't call for a ban on wearing a Burqa, but it should be discouraged. Don't tell me every Burqa wearer is choosing to and is happy doing so.

How do you suggest that wearing the garment be discouraged exactly?

I'm not going to tell you every wearer is freely choosing to do so, because I don't believe that's the case.

tad controversial. i would ban the burqa. its devisive.

So, you would exchange one form of tyranny (thou shalt wear a burqa) for another (thou shalt not wear a burqa) would you?

You're as bad scalded as burnt with that one. It's as bad forcing someone out of the choice of wearing a burqa, as it would be, forcing them into wearing it.

---------- Post added 12-07-2015 at 16:03 ----------

Isn't it a strange coincidence that it's only Asian women that are "choosing" to wear it?

Actually, though, I know quite a number of ladies who are converts, who wear the full veil, none of whom are Asian,. I dont wear the veil myself, only the headscarf,

Also, its not so much the asian community who wear a burqa, it's more women of Arab or Afghani descent who tend to go for the veil amongst "born" Muslims.

Any more personal attacks will result in suspensions. Keep it civil please.

So, you would exchange one form of tyranny (thou shalt wear a burqa) for another (thou shalt not wear a burqa) would you?

You're as bad scalded as burnt with that one. It's as bad forcing someone out of the choice of wearing a burqa, as it would be, forcing them into wearing it.

---------- Post added 12-07-2015 at 16:03 ----------

Actually, though, I know quite a number of ladies who are converts, who wear the full veil, none of whom are Asian,. I dont wear the veil myself, only the headscarf,

Also, its not so much the asian community who wear a burqa, it's more women of Arab or Afghani descent who tend to go for the veil amongst "born" Muslims.

you also get a few ultra-orthodox Jews in the town of Beit Shemesh who also chose to don the burka...a few men too :)

You'd suggest solving the 'oppression' by oppressing people in a different way... :huh: