What should a British Muslim do?

Jimmy Savile was a Yorkshireman. Do you think that all "people of Yorkshire background" should go around apologizing for his crimes?

Anders Behring Breivik was white. Do you think all white people should apologies for his crimes?

Adolph Hitler was a man. Do you think all men should go around apologizing for his crimes?

Clearly, no one but a cretinous idiot would expect any of the examples listed above to actually be followed through.

So, why treat religious affiliation differently from race, gender or place of birth?

yes to all your questions

Muslims commit atrocities in the name of their religion. Because of wilful misinterpretation of their Holy book, the Quran. It's not at all comparable to Jimmy Savile being from Yorkshire or Hitler being a Man.

I was watching this discussion on TV between a number of Europeans , .. some of them were Muslim Europeans …

To cut the story short, terror and suicide bombings killing innocents were mentioned … One of the guys present said: If I were a Muslim European I would feel it necessary to apologise …

My question: when we hear of someone of Islamic background or Islamic connections committing a terrible act, do you think it necessary an innocent Muslim ought to apologise for the pain and stress caused?

I hope we can have an informed and civil debate, thanks!

I'd like to see the Muslim community make a more concerted effort to integrate into British culture. They could do a lot more to help us understand what's going on.

We need to celebrate what we have in common as human beings, rather than what separates us. It doesn't help that they live in closed communities, and the women stay in the home rather than mix with other British women.

That might go some way towards allaying fears that all Muslims somehow 'agree' with what the terrorists are doing.

I'd like to see the Muslim community make a more concerted effort to integrate into British culture. They could do a lot more to help us understand what's going on.

We need to celebrate what we have in common as human beings, rather than what separates us. It doesn't help that they live in closed communities, and the women stay in the home rather than mix with other British women.

That might go some way towards allaying fears that all Muslims somehow 'agree' with what the terrorists are doing.

Our two cultures are virtually incompatible. Actually Islam is virtually incompatible with Islam.

I don't think British Muslims have to do anything. The terrorists DON'T speak for a significant number of Muslims in the UK, or anywhere else.

Nobody expected the Irish Catholics to 'speak out' when the IRA were bombing UK cities.

I don't think British Muslims have to do anything. The terrorists DON'T speak for a significant number of Muslims in the UK, or anywhere else.

Nobody expected the Irish Catholics to 'speak out' when the IRA were bombing UK cities.

The Irish Republicans were not on a crusade. They wanted independence from UK. They weren't bombing in the cause of Christianity.

The Irish Republicans were not on a crusade. They wanted independence from UK. They weren't bombing in the cause of Christianity.

Well, that true.

But then most Muslims aren't on a crusade.

I am opposed to immigration from all countries so don't assume I'm a wishy washy lefty.

I just don't think Muslims that have nothing to do with terror groups should be associated with them by virtue of their religion.

Then should we consider those who take the passages in the Qur'an - all of them, or at least those that promote violence above those that promote love - to extremes, to be mentally incapable of taking them in the context they were written?

The parts some ignore are just as relevant today as the time they was written, not eating pork which was very relevant at the time as absolutely no relevance today.

---------- Post added 17-06-2015 at 07:10 ----------

Well, that true.

But then most Muslims aren't on a crusade.

I am opposed to immigration from all countries so don't assume I'm a wishy washy lefty.

I just don't think Muslims that have nothing to do with terror groups should be associated with them by virtue of their religion.

Other than they worship that which created the terrorist and revere the man that inspired the terrorists and the terrorists emulate. A Nazi that didn't kill still aided and abetted those that did, so must bare some responsibility.

There's lots of excuses about why all Muslims should be responsible for a minority, but why this shouldn't apply to other groups. :suspect:

Our two cultures are virtually incompatible. Actually Islam is virtually incompatible with Islam.

Total drivel. Based on what?

There's lots of excuses about why all Muslims should be responsible for a minority, but why this shouldn't apply to other groups. :suspect:

I'm not sure I've said they are responsible. My point is that the culture of Islam is virtually incompatible with the English British culture.

Shall we discuss this over a pint and a bacon sarnie?

I'm not sure I've said they are responsible. My point is that the culture of Islam is virtually incompatible with the English British culture.

Shall we discuss this over a pint and a bacon sarnie?

Firstly, Islam isn't a monoculture. Secondly neither is British English.