George Osbourne Planning Tax credit cuts: Fair?

We need a senior house but just not with nearly a thousand members.

500 members maximum.

Perhaps one picked from experts in industry with ex-politicians banned!

That is the way forward. The likes of Alan Sugar would be far more beneficial to the country than some crusty old Ex MP in their 80`s .

That is a good idea. Not just industry though.

---------- Post added 30-10-2015 at 17:29 ----------

That is the way forward. The likes of Alan Sugar would be far more beneficial to the country than some crusty old Ex MP in their 80`s .

Indeed. Ex-MPs are just there to compound there previous mistakes and keep their party agendas alive.

The Tax Credit cuts have now been scrapped completely

What a missed opportunity to reform something that people of all parties agree needs reforming. If his initial proposals hadn't affected the poorest so much and had just targeted those recieving credits at the top end then he'd have probably got the reforms through the HOL.

The Tax Credit cuts have now been scrapped completely

What a missed opportunity to reform something that people of all parties agree needs reforming. If his initial proposals hadn't affected the poorest so much and had just targeted those recieving credits at the top end then he'd have probably got the reforms through the HOL.

While I'm glad things have been stopped so people aren't hit by this, I am also saddened that the opportunity to reform things with full party support has been missed for the sake of seeming opportunism to make the Tories look like the good guys.

Don't speak too soon, commentators and other Tory MPs have said Universal credit will change everything once fully implemented. So it appears UC is not just going to affect those on benefits, but also those in receipt of working tax credits. So it's business as usual for the Tories, the only difference is it will take slightly longer.

A complete U turn by the Tories, who seemed to just 'find' some extra cash under the bed.

An alarmingly convenient find, which I understand can disappear as easily as it appeared.

It also confounds Osborne's own statement that the Tories 'would fix the roof when the sun shines.'

Nevertheless, I'm glad for the people who would have lost money, it at least gives them a breathing space before Universal Credit kicks in. Maybe by then Companies will have been persuaded to pay decent wages.

Massive U turn from Osborne, glad he listened to advice from Labour

Don't be fooled, Osborne is looking after Osborne, with one eye on No. 10.

Yeah, as if he has suddenly discovered he has a heart. :suspect::roll:

He changed his mind because of 'CONCERNS' for working families! Yeah, right.

Edited by poppet2

I wouldn't trust Osborne as far as you could throw him.

With him the devil's in the detail. It will take time to unpick it, but he will not have done anyone any favours.

Lifting the cap on Council tax so they can raise it to pay for care is just the start. When these much heralded 'devolved' councils come into play, you can bet your bottom that they will be starved of sufficient cash to do the job properly, so the council will take the blame for not being able to provide services instead of the government.

The government might not be raising taxes, but thanks to them, Council tax is set to rocket...

I wouldn't trust Corbyn as far as you could throw him.

With him the devil's in the detail. It will take time to unpick it, but he will not have done anyone any favours....

I have corrected that for you.

---------- Post added 26-11-2015 at 15:49 ----------

Don't big yourselves up too much. The proposals were rejected by the HOL.

Osborne being the clever man that he is has simply blended them within his universal credit reforms so he gets the result he wants albeit at a much slower rate.

He really is not that stupid to take things as such face value. Read between the lines and you will see that the "advice from labour" has changed Jack.

I wouldn't trust Osborne as far as you could throw him.

With him the devil's in the detail. It will take time to unpick it, but he will not have done anyone any favours.

Lifting the cap on Council tax so they can raise it to pay for care is just the start. When these much heralded 'devolved' councils come into play, you can bet your bottom that they will be starved of sufficient cash to do the job properly, so the council will take the blame for not being able to provide services instead of the government.

The government might not be raising taxes, but thanks to them, Council tax is set to rocket...

Someones done some unpicking already and it doesn't look good....

http://news.sky.com/story/1594887/osborne-cuts-to-make-2-6m-families-worse-off