EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

You don't like the commission, because you don't like that they do not answer to the nation that sends them. But you are, presumably, fine with cabinet secretaries and ministers being appointed by a prime minister who was not directly elected?

Because essentially that is what the commission is, the cabinet. The council consists of the nations and the parliament is comparable to our parliament in the UK.

Can you explain why you don't like the commission?

Sure. If the commission was selected from the MEPs, and could be removed by them at any time....

In the UK, the PM lives in constant fear of being removed by the MPs. The cabinet ministers live in constant fear of being removed by the PM for losing the confidence of the MPs and/or the country. The EU commissioners fear nothing.

Edited by unbeliever

Sure. If the commission was selected from the MEPs, and could be removed by them at any time....

In the UK, the PM lives in constant fear of being removed by the MPs. The cabinet ministers live in constant fear of being removed by the PM for losing the confidence of the MPs and/or the country. The EU commissioners fear nothing.

And their is that Parliament again, you know, the one that is directly elected but stuffed to the gills with UKIPers so the UK lost most of its influence?

A member of the Commission shall resign if the President so requests. The High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy shall resign, in accordance with the procedure set out in Article 9 E(1), if the President so requests.

8. The Commission, as a body, shall be responsible to the European Parliament. In accordance with Article 201 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union, the European Parliament may vote on a motion of censure of the Commission. If such a motion is carried, the members of the Commission shall resign as a body and the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy shall resign from the duties that he carries out in the Commission.’

And here is the link.

As I keep saying, the biggest problem the UK has with the EU is its own reluctance to engage with it - the public just don't understand it. If you wonder why you don't know about the work of the commission?

Sorry Joker you are right, my apologies at the time I could not remember Jo Cox,s name. By either side using Jo,s death to further their political ends was this.

For remain to cite that voting remain would be a fitting tribute to her memory.

For leave the fact that her murderer was a fanatic, who in this instance was white and shouting about Britain first, and that there are, allegedly, numerous religious fanatics waiting to flood the UK and wreak similar crimes upon us all so to prevent ending your days like Jo you should vote to leave.

If any person has changed their vote because of Jo,s death then I have no qualms about it, it is a good a reason as any.

In this country we have access to our politicians through surgeries that is unheard of throughout most of the rest of our world. By all accounts Jo was a good MP and person and I meant no insult by saying she was doing " her job", this entailed such surgeries where she could meet her constituents and was in fact part of her job and unfortunately gave access to her murderer to attack her.

If I have offended yourself or any other person then I unreservedly offer my apologies.

And their is that Parliament again, you know, the one that is directly elected but stuffed to the gills with UKIPers so the UK lost most of its influence?

Myself, I interpret this as an expression of the will of the UK people to reject EU control.

And here is the link.

As I keep saying, the biggest problem the UK has with the EU is its own reluctance to engage with it - the public just don't understand it. If you wonder why you don't know about the work of the commission?

How many times has this happened. UK MPs routinely cross-examine the UK cabinet, including the PM and ministers are removed routinely for doing a sub-optimal job. It's all very well giving the parliament the de jure right to reject the commission, but if it never happens then it does not de facto exist.

Like when any body is murdered it's awful but she's no more important than a little old lady being murdered. Let's not have double standards please and try to turn her into a saint. These people were profiteering from charity's so of course they were campaigning for charity's. No different to a car salesmen or telesales person trying to sell there products!!!

Go and buy a car or telesales product from a charity next time and see the difference.

Myself, I interpret this as an expression of the will of the UK people to reject EU control.

It's a referendum to provide guidance to government. It is not legally binding.

Whichever way it goes the result is going to be close and it's a massive stretch to argue that say a 51:49 result for Brexit or Remain is the will of the people.

If it is 51:49 in favour of Remain do you think Farage will walk away, or the issue itself will go away? Not a chance. Nobody on the Brexit side is going to accept that as the 'will of the people'

Yet the online poll from that link has 56% wanting to leave. The core reasons for leave/remain are still the same.

Edited by panzer1

How many times has this happened. UK MPs routinely cross-examine the UK cabinet, including the PM and ministers are removed routinely for doing a sub-optimal job. It's all very well giving the parliament the de jure right to reject the commission, but if it never happens then it does not de facto exist.

But it can happen, this is a treaty that has only been in force since 2014 (again completely ridiculing the argument that the EU is not capable of change) and Juncker has already been working hard to introduce a better way to both select the commission and to further democratic accountability.

It's a referendum to provide guidance to government. It is not legally binding.

Whichever way it goes the result is going to be close and it's a massive stretch to argue that say a 51:49 result for Brexit or Remain is the will of the people.

If it is 51:49 in favour of Remain do you think Farage will walk away, or the issue itself will go away? Not a chance. Nobody on the Brexit side is going to accept that as the 'will of the people'

I neither know nor care what Farage will do if there is a remain vote.

I shall move to pressing for desperately needed reform in the hope that the sinking ship that is the current EU can be kept afloat with us tethered to it.

My side lost the AV referendum. When it comes up all I say is that we lost and the matter is settled.

If one side wins by 1 vote, then as far as I'm concerned, it's settled. I cannot speak for others.

---------- Post added 19-06-2016 at 11:19 ----------

But it can happen, this is a treaty that has only been in force since 2014 (again completely ridiculing the argument that the EU is not capable of change) and Juncker has already been working hard to introduce a better way to both select the commission and to further democratic accountability.

Well that's good news on the face of it.

Surely the Lisbon treaty came into force on 1st december 2009. What kicked in in 2014?