EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

Do you not see that's exactly why this vote has ended as it has. People want change. The poorer people will still be poor if they voted to stay. Their lives won't change much. They don't want zero hour contracts and low wages and want houses that are affordable.

The EU will collapse in a few years now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36615879

You may well be right.

Cameron press conference in 10 minutes.

This was definitely a kick up the backside for the establishment, and they seriously don't like it. But I think it will prove cathartic for much of the general population who have been shafted and ignored for way too long. Pity it was this very important issue that was at stake.

However 2 things come to mind. First; don't forget what a parlous state Europe is in. It's far from plain sailing over there. And there's a lot worse to come. We are still part of Europe, but no longer bound by them.

2. Europe is just too big and wants to get bigger. Anybody who has tried to rule by committee knows how slow and difficult that is. 10 years to get a trade deal done? Please... We are now in a very fast moving world and we have to be able to react to it quickly. Now we will be in a better position to do it.

Don't underestimate us. Think of us as the little ships that went out against the might of the great Armada. By having greater manouverability, ducking and diving, we won the day. That is how we will nowhopefully be in the world.

Just theought of number 3. If it's any consolation to the Remainers, Margaret Thatcher was no fan of Europe, and that was before they got all the new powers. She would probably have been a Brexiter.

Edited by Anna B

Farage's Independence Day speech - priceless!

I liked the tumbleweed moment when he joked that even the weather was better as following the out vote!

This was definitely a kick up the backside for the establishment, and they seriously don't like it. But I think it will prove cathartic for much of the general population who have been shafted and ignored for way too long. Pity it was this very important issue that was at stake.

However 2 things come to mind. First; don't forget what a parlous state Europe is in. It's far from plain sailing over there. And there's a lot worse to come. We are still part of Europe, but no longer bound by them.

2. Europe is just too big and wants to get bigger. Anybody who has tried to rule by committee knows how slow and difficult that is. 10 years to get a trade deal done? Please... We are now in a very fast moving world and we have to be able to react to it quickly. Now we will be in a better position to do it.

Don't underestimate us. Think of us as the little ships that went out against the might of the great Armada. By having greater manouverability, ducking and diving, we won the day. That is how we will nowhopefully be in the world.

I'm not worried about the UK's ability to set up deals etc, and to look after itself internationally.

But I do think it would have been better if we had voted to remain.

As far as this being a kick up the backside for the establishment - yes it is, but that doesn't mean that it will take any notice.

What do the mass of people who admiinistered this kick to the backside expect to be changed, and how? If it mostly boils down to the level of immigration, then I can't see any meaningful change. It might be, as is claimed by some, not so much about the level of immigration, but about us taking control of that immigration. Fair enough, but if the actual effect is minimal, then I think it is a large price to pay for a feelgood "we are in control" feeling, and the pleasure of giving "them" a good kicking.

Hearing Corbyn on TV this morning, I don't think he gets it at all. He talks of successive governments not listening to the public. But he is just as bad. He has his own view on how the country should operate. But that is his view. He is not listening to the disquiet any more than others have.

Well said sundae, I think you are right in most of your points. In order to administer the kick up the backside what other method did the electorate have. The GEs just keep the status quo with even labour taking no notice of the average persons fears, I think they need to take notice or there will be some more shocks to come.

Official Sheffield result:

More people in Sheffield voted to leave the EU – a 1.98% majority.

Remain 49.01% - 130,735

Leave 50.99% - 136,018

Jeremy Corbyn saying that's it's the electorate that feels betrayed by successive Governments. He just doesn't get it does he?

The natural Labour Party electorate, the average UK workers, feel betrayed by YOU and the Labour Party.

The Tories allowed their MPs to campaign freely, YOU pretended to campaign for something you didn't agree with and betrayed YOUR voters in favour of the predominantly London, rich, virtue signalling, Guardian reading, nasties that call themselves Labour and YOU now align yourself with. Even the Muslim vote that YOU now court so slavishly voted for Brexit.

And please don't pretend this was about the failure of successive Governments and turn it into politics, it was about the EU, it was about successive Governments being unable to govern because of the EU. It was about YOUR voters knowing first hand how uncontrolled immigration was keeping their wages down and YOU not caring about it.

The thing is Jeremy, YOU missed an open goal. If you had stuck to the principles of the Labour Party you would now be riding high into Government with the support of the Scottish and Welsh vote, with an even higher majority for Brexit.

Rant over. Goodbye.