EU Referendum - How will you vote?

Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that the UK should remain a member of the EU?

• YES
    • NO

A lot longer than that. a recent trade deal with Canada took 7 years to set up ... and that's just Canada. in the meantime, it would lead to years and years of uncertainty and limbo for businesses.

This is a vote about whether we want this country to retain full sovereignty and democracy. It is something previous generations have risked far more to retain. Since when did 'uncertainty' for businesses becomes so unbearable a risk that we'd abandon such a precious principle and betray the sacrifices of previous generations who passed this gift on to us?

The Stay campaign argues that taking 40 pieces of silver is a reasonable price for abandoning principles and capitulation. It is shameful. The EU has become a dictatorship that is controlled by an unelected elite that the British public cannot hold to account. If we want government that we as a people can hold to account for the laws they introduce and the policies they implement, then we must vote to leave the EU. If people agree with the principle of self-rule for this country then please don't abandon this principle out of fear. Let's inspire the rest of Europe and watch the EU model (that the vast majority of people do not like) goes up in flames and out of the ashes emerges an organisation that oversee the running of a trade bloc and not an empire.

This is a vote about whether we want this country to retain full sovereignty and democracy. It is something previous generations have risked far more to retain. Since when did 'uncertainty' for businesses becomes so unbearable a risk that we'd abandon such a precious principle and betray the sacrifices of previous generations who passed this gift on to us?

The Stay campaign argues that taking 40 pieces of silver is a reasonable price for abandoning principles and capitulation. It is shameful. The EU has become a dictatorship that is controlled by an unelected elite that the British public cannot hold to account. If we want government that we as a people can hold to account for the laws they introduce and the policies they implement, then we must vote to leave the EU. If people agree with the principle of self-rule for this country then please don't abandon this principle out of fear. Let's inspire the rest of Europe and watch the EU model (that the vast majority of people do not like) goes up in flames and out of the ashes emerges an organisation that oversee the running of a trade bloc and not an empire.

Which EU law would you say has negatively impacted you the most?

There are about as many Britons living in other EU countries as EU migrants in the UK. So, if you want EU migrants to leave, you'll end up with just as many people being sent back to the UK.

You forget over a million immigrants are here in Britain, while the amount of British in Europe are spread over several countries. Most of the people who say that immigration isn't a problem don't live on council estates where these immigrants are put. You don't see immigrants in Whirlow, Dore or Totley, I wonder why?

You forget over a million immigrants are here in Britain, while the amount of British in Europe are spread over several countries. Most of the people who say that immigration isn't a problem don't live on council estates where these immigrants are put. You don't see immigrants in Whirlow, Dore or Totley, I wonder why?

In terms of immigration most people admit that there needs to be a curb but until the domestic political will is there then there is not likely to be much control over it in the foreseeable future.

However, for the Brexit campaign to claim to be able to stop immigration from either inside or outside the EU should we vote leave is a lie. The people claiming that would need to have it in their manifesto and then get elected. People forget that this was a commitment of the present government, down to 10s of thousands was their claim, but they have failed to achieve their target. Not because of the EU but because they don't want to.

We can control it now but it is not in the interest of the politicians to do so.

The Brits overseas are spread over several countries in Europe. Similarly, the Europeans in the UK come from several European countries. I don't see your point, unless it is that all European are being grouped together as "foreign".

I know EU (and non-EU for that matter) immigrants in both Whirlow and Dore. (And Bents Green and Fulwood). I don't know any in Totley, but as it happens, I don't know anyone at all in Totley.

It isn't a criticism, it is a condemnation - the Leave camp LIE about A LOT. From the £350 million a week to being able to control immigration AND staying in the single market. It is all based on hot air.

The £350m is spin. I've condemned it multiple times.

The remain are worse. How many (often intelligent and well informed) people are being conned into thinking the experts have predicted a substantial contraction following Brexit, by people actually talking about numbers for reduced growth?

Oh and let's not forget the "single market access" term, specifically designed to con people into thinking we won't be able to buy and sell things from the EU without paying them and following their endless regulations.

The rest is not lies, but opinion which differs from yours. There's a world of difference there.

Edited by unbeliever

Which EU law would you say has negatively impacted you the most?

What possible difference could that make?

I am saying that it should be a matter of principle that we have a government that the people of this country can hold 100% to account for the laws and policies imposed on us. We can argue to the cows come home whether a specific EU laws or policies is good or bad but, either way, it never changes the fact that the British public cannot solely hold to account those in the EU that are responsible for them.

Do you have a view on this matter of principle? What's your case for surrendering democratic control and sovereignty that previous generations fought and struggled so hard for?

16 years of legal practice doesn't make you an authority on predicting the future.
At the risk of pointing out the obvious, makes me more of an authority about the Vote Leave leaflet issue than you so far ;)

As for the future, time will tell who between us got most it right. The forum is replete with our posts, mine consistently under my nick and yours under your numerous aliases, so it'll be easy enough to cross-check :)

I am saying that it should be a matter of principle that we have a government that the people of this country can hold 100% to account for the laws and policies imposed on us. We can argue to the cows come home whether a specific EU laws or policies is good or bad but, either way, it never changes the fact that the British public cannot solely hold to account those in the EU that are responsible for them.

Do you have a view on this matter of principle? What's your case for surrendering democratic control and sovereignty that previous generations fought and struggled so hard for?

I'd argue that we haven't surrendered sovereignty.

The EU cannot force us to enact any laws that our elected officials felt wasn't in our best interests, our elected officials are free to leave the EU if they feel it was in the countries interest.

So you voting out on something on principle that happened 70 years ago (and it could be argued it wasn't our freedom that was fought for rather that of the Europe we are now opted into) and not on the reality of the last 40 years. Is that what you are saying?

Did see Mickey Grove this morning on breakfast tv. Maybe just my impression but he did look a little broken and resigned to defeat I thought.

He knows he can stop fibbing in 2 days time and we can all get on with our lives.

I'd argue that we haven't surrendered sovereignty.

Sure we have. We just retain the power to get it back. Which is what this referendum is about.

The EU cannot force us to enact any laws that our elected officials felt wasn't in our best interests, our elected officials are free to leave the EU if they feel it was in the countries interest.

Which it is and which they should do.