Crookes Valley Park tips?

Hi all,

I'm going to be moving in near crookes valley park and was hopping to get some fishing done on there seeing as its free!! Had a walk around it today with the polaroids on and saw a good head of roach as well as a few of the carp basking in the sun which made me excited to wet my line there.

I've seen lots about fishing maggot waggler or feeder tactics but wondered if anyone had any other tips, tricks or any info on it.

If anybody has any proof of the pike, zander or even catfish that are rumoured to be there that would be awesome too! Or any stories about interesting catches there.

Thanks!

What is it your targetting mate? Carp or anything that swims lol?

What is it your targetting mate? Carp or anything that swims lol?

Anything that swims to behonest haha but if anything works in particular for the carp or if lures for perch is particularly effective.

would love to get a carp off the surface but have heard they're pretty difficult to catch there

Only ever fished it for carp, but all fish in there go to decent size. Small lures and spinner i've seen used for the perch and the pike (not sure if there's many left in there now though).

As far as carp go, they certainly are catchable, both on bottom baits and off the top. But these fish are cute (not in a cuddly way!!), they've had that much chucked at them over the decades they've been in there, that they don't fall easily to many tactics. So be prepared to put the time in, and know that you'll most likely blank far more than you'll catch. Frustrating, but rewarding when you do eventually get one in the net!! I haven't fished the place for a while, but might have to pay it a visit again soon. For some reason it always pulls you back lol. Until you get fed up blanking again anyway!! If you want any more info send us a pm.

Hi Grifff

Have you fished Crookes yet, if so what was it like and is it worth a visit.

cheers

An6y

Only ever fished it for carp, but all fish in there go to decent size. Small lures and spinner i've seen used for the perch and the pike (not sure if there's many left in there now though).

As far as carp go, they certainly are catchable, both on bottom baits and off the top. But these fish are cute (not in a cuddly way!!), they've had that much chucked at them over the decades they've been in there, that they don't fall easily to many tactics. So be prepared to put the time in, and know that you'll most likely blank far more than you'll catch. Frustrating, but rewarding when you do eventually get one in the net!! I haven't fished the place for a while, but might have to pay it a visit again soon. For some reason it always pulls you back lol. Until you get fed up blanking again anyway!! If you want any more info send us a pm.

Ah right cheers mate! What's the bottom of it like? Does it just slope down steadily or has it got like shelves?

Not fished it yet not moving there until mid July so won't be fishing it until then

did see some pike a few years ago and also see a friend catch a zander dead baiting but that was about 4 years ago

How did you do Grifff??

Biggsy :)

How did you do Grifff??

Biggsy :)

So far no luck on the carp rod yet but had some nice roach on a waggler. only done 2 short early morning sessions so its still early days!

I enjoy useing a slider float and about 15-17 ft deep for the roach :cool:

Edited by OutDoorType
splelling error

Is there still fishing in Crookes valley, not seen anyone there for ages?

Just want to know if it's worth me popping down, as it's so close to me.

Worth a shot i guess I've seen a guy fishing when I went for a look around. He said there's a good few in but it's hard fishing. But its free so i guess it's worth a shot One thing he did mention that put me off slightly was he mentioned you get little chavys about messing around.