Extension lead problem

8 hours ago, Waldo said:

I’ll take the trimmer max of you’re done with it?

I'm looking at the possibility of replacing the brushes as I've been told that may be the issue. However, if that proves to be too close to the price of a new one I'll get back to you. 

6 hours ago, carosio said:

Just out of interest, what wattage is the troublesome trimmer?

The power outlet is 380W according to the manual.

Might be the commutator needs a clean, or as you say the brushes are worn right down and losing pressure. A very long lead of course reduces the voltage available at the motor, and hence the required current, although it doesn't usually result in a dead motor. Mines a 550W and measures about 15 ohm across the plug pins, a 380W will be a bit more than that.

Plenty of carbon brushes available if you know the exact size.

2 minutes ago, carosio said:

Might be the commutator needs a clean, or as you say the brushes are worn right down and losing pressure. A very long lead of course reduces the voltage available at the motor, and hence the required current, although it doesn't usually result in a dead motor. Mines a 550W and measures about 15 ohm across the plug pins, a 380W will be a bit more than that.

Plenty of carbon brushes available if you know the exact size.

There are some available on ebay but I'll try removing the existing ones first to make sure I don't break anything. I'll also try cleaning things up with baby buds.

Don't know how familiar you are with brushes/commutators, but the copper can become coated with a hardened film which reduces the current, and the grooves between the segments can fill with carbon, these will need carefully scraping out with a suitable fine blade.

Not for the faint-hearted though dismantling these when the case halves are parted, note how the switching mechanism etc is assembled!

Edited by carosio

36 minutes ago, carosio said:

Don't know how familiar you are with brushes/commutators, but the copper can become coated with a hardened film which reduces the current, and the grooves between the segments can fill with carbon, these will need carefully scraping out with a suitable fine blade.

Not for the faint-hearted though dismantling these when the case halves are parted, note how the switching mechanism etc is assembled!

Faint-hearted, certainly not; I fight people with metal sticks as a hobby! I will go as far as I can and if I fail @Waldo shall end up with a box of bits.

Thanks for the gen.