Extension lead problem

Same socket each time, all extension leads work with other appliances in the same socket.

Why would I cut off a perfectly good plug?

But is it a perfectly good plug? Moulded plugs often go faulty especially in equipment that is moved around frequently eg a trimmer, mower or drill. As you have already stated all the extension leads work with other appliances in the same socket. If its a moulded plug then there is no way of easily checking the connections or lead going into the plug, that's why I suggested putting another on.

Now, is that a better explanation?

But is it a perfectly good plug? Moulded plugs often go faulty especially in equipment that is moved around frequently eg a trimmer, mower or drill. As you have already stated all the extension leads work with other appliances in the same socket. If its a moulded plug then there is no way of easily checking the connections or lead going into the plug, that's why I suggested putting another on.

Now, is that a better explanation?

It makes sense to me...

... if a wire inside the plug is loose then it could be that the wire is only making contact with a pin when the plug is in an upright position (as when plugged into the socket) and not when in a laying down position (as when plugged into the extension). :)

Correct

Correct

Correct - all 4 extension leads

Are you unrolling all the extensions fully?

If the extension is rolled up tight sometimes it acts as a sort of transformer overheating the wire causing a resistance,try uncoiling the whole cable roller...or maybe there is a brake or a resistance in the wire,you would need a multimeter,set it to resistance and check the wires for continuity,if the meter has a buzzer you can use that instead.

I have a power hedge trimmer which has a 3 amp plug on the end. In the past, it was quite happy to be connected to an extension lead which has a 13 amp plug on it. The trimmer one day decided it didn't want to work with the extension lead, nor any of the other 3 leads I have all with 13 amp plugs.

Plug said trimmer directly into the mains and it's happy.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this?

The motor is ageing and becoming less efficient and so is pulling more amps. I bet its getting hot too.

Time for a new hedge trimmer.

The obvious solution is pretty simple if you ask me.

Simply cut off both ends of an extension, undo, and fit the wall socket that the trimmer works in to one end of the extension, and wire the other end of the extension into the wall where the working wall socket used to be.

Failing that, simply smash (sledgehammer) out part of the wall that contains the working socket and take it down the garden in a wheelbarrow, connecting it (by one of the working extensions) to some working electricity ... like next door neighbour's goldfish pond pump. :thumbsup:

NO NO what you need to do is bare the wires back you can use your teeth as sort of wire trimmer then get some match sticks shove the wires in the plug hay presto working hedge shears, for safety reasons make sure you are standing in a bucket of cold water while undertaking this complicated operation :thumbsup:

The obvious solution is pretty simple if you ask me.

Simply cut off both ends of an extension, undo, and fit the wall socket that the trimmer works in to one end of the extension, and wire the other end of the extension into the wall where the working wall socket used to be.

Failing that, simply smash (sledgehammer) out part of the wall that contains the working socket and take it down the garden in a wheelbarrow, connecting it (by one of the working extensions) to some working electricity ... like next door neighbour's goldfish pond pump. :thumbsup:

This is hilarious - cheered up my whole morning

What you actually need Max is this .............. ;)

I've got one Peter, but, as the advertiser states, they are heavier than standard hedge trimmers and I do have tennis elbow.

The best advice I've had is that there may be a partial break in the trimmer's cable so it's strip down the trimmer and out with the old multimeter.

Just to give an update on this issue. I've been using the trimmer for last 5 years and the fault seemed to have gone away. I have had 3 extensions joined end to end to reach the hedge at the bottom of the garden without any problems 3 times a year since I raised this here.

It's now decided to repeat the same problem so I'm now in agreement with @Berberis, I need a new hedge trimmer. So, if anyone wants a trimmer which can only reach the length of its cable let me know.

I also have 2 non working swan neck Flymo Sabre cord free extendable hedge trimmers and a working battery free to a good home. The reason I have 2 is that over the years 3 of the 2 parts to each have failed and I'm not prepared to pay to find out which of the bits in the latest is faulty, hence 2 complete sets with 3 non-working parts. 

I’ll take the trimmer max of you’re done with it?

17 hours ago, max said:

Just to give an update on this issue. I've been using the trimmer for last 5 years and the fault seemed to have gone away. I have had 3 extensions joined end to end to reach the hedge at the bottom of the garden without any problems 3 times a year since I raised this here.

Just out of interest, what wattage is the troublesome trimmer?