Extension lead problem

I have a power hedge trimmer which has a 3 amp plug on the end. In the past, it was quite happy to be connected to an extension lead which has a 13 amp plug on it. The trimmer one day decided it didn't want to work with the extension lead, nor any of the other 3 leads I have all with 13 amp plugs.

Plug said trimmer directly into the mains and it's happy.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this?

Is there a reset button on the extension lead reel?

When you plug the extension in are you using the same mains socket as when you just plug the trimmer in?

If the trimmer has a moulded plug then the first line of action I would take would be to cut it off and put another on and try that.

Test the other 3 leads with something else plugged in to see if they are OK.

Does any other device work with any/all 4 extension leads?

Same socket each time, all extension leads work with other appliances in the same socket.

Why would I cut off a perfectly good plug?

Thanks everyone but the problem is not the leads or the mains, it's something to do with the trimmer.

Same socket each time, all extension leads work with other appliances in the same socket.

Why would I cut off a perfectly good plug?

Thanks everyone but the problem is not the leads or the mains, it's something to do with the trimmer.

So just to be clear - the trimmer works plugged into the mains.

If you put an extension lead in the same mains socket, and then trimmer into the extension it doesn't work at all?

And the extension lead is good for powering other things of a similar load?

So just to be clear - the trimmer works plugged into the mains.

If you put an extension lead in the same mains socket, and then trimmer into the extension it doesn't work at all?

And the extension lead is good for powering other things of a similar load?

Correct

Correct

Correct - all 4 extension leads

Does seem strange.

Is the trimmer working when the cord is rolled up and you're testing it but not when it's stretched when you're using it? Could it be a break in the trimmer cord? Check your trimmer for any possible visible cord damage. Sometimes when cords are not stretched you can get a contact and when they are stretched you don't.

The obvious solution is pretty simple if you ask me.

Simply cut off both ends of an extension, undo, and fit the wall socket that the trimmer works in to one end of the extension, and wire the other end of the extension into the wall where the working wall socket used to be.

Failing that, simply smash (sledgehammer) out part of the wall that contains the working socket and take it down the garden in a wheelbarrow, connecting it (by one of the working extensions) to some working electricity ... like next door neighbour's goldfish pond pump. :thumbsup:

Alcoblog,

I need a bit of rewiring doing at our house.

Are you available in the next week or two ?