Smart Meters Thread

I'm with Jeffery on this one. My providers are constantly badgering me to have one installed. I'm quite capable of sending them regular readings on line and what good is knowing what my individual electrical items cost? I'm hardly likely to switch of my freezer or stop having a kettle am I? British Gas even told me if they could not re-light my boiler I would have to pay someone to do it - that's a real selling point - I don't think

My electricity smart meter was installed back in 2010 I think. Benefits (ymmv)

* no more estimated bills

* no more meter readers knocking at my door

* able to see my real time elec usage. So I was able to identify some big hitters and replace them

* I became a lot more aware of energy consumption over the day, and how to reduce it (as I now have baseline data to compare it with)

I've not been prevented switching between suppliers, which I have done every year. it took little time to switch and is less intrusive than my old meter (it's dimensions are similar, but isn't as deep). Overall no complaints.

Best thing we ever got, no more estimated miles off bills you can check real time with the app your bill too

I love my smart meter! Lol. Honestly I think they are a great bonus, i can see how much i am spending, daily, weekly and monthly and know how much my bill is going to be each time. I think they are a great bonus.

limit one's ability to switch suppliers,

According to the news as of last October the smart meter doesn't need to be changed when switching suppliers now.

I guess the regulator stepped in and told all the energy suppliers to stop being such idiots.

Read the power label on equipment and apply a bit of maths and you should be able to work out how much power your appliances use.

When your bill arrives go online and give an up to date meter reading to get a correct bill, smart meters are just a gimmick and they benefit the electric company's and not the consumers.

How many meter readers do you think are going to lose their jobs?

Read the power label on equipment and apply a bit of maths and you should be able to work out how much power your appliances use.

Yep - although I think the benefits of smart meters is less to do with point in time, but more a view of exactly how much power you are using over time. Plus you get the cumulative view.

When your bill arrives go online and give an up to date meter reading to get a correct bill

Yep - but at least it keep you from forgetting :-). It's not the main benefit though.

smart meters are just a gimmick and they benefit the electric company's and not the consumers.

You'll have to expand on that one for me. Gimmick is maybe a subjective view, but I'm not sure how they exclusively benefit the elec co. If anything I've reduced my usage since it went in - which can't be good for them?

How many meter readers do you think are going to lose their jobs?

At the end most I guess. Not sure how many there are.

Edited by Dave h-j
Typo

My problem is trying to persuade my supplier to fit one (N Power) all they say is that could be anytime up until 2020 thats useless.

I read that if you have smart meters and change your energy supplier you also have to change your smart meters to your new company. Is this true ?

I read that if you have smart meters and change your energy supplier you also have to change your smart meters to your new company. Is this true ?

In some cases yes.

Assuming that the supplier you change to does use smart meters at all then yes.

We changed to Eon purely on cost, but they don't use the British Gas meters and don't yet have any smart meters in our area.