Smart Meters Thread

Does a smart meter give you a separate readout of the standing charge per day? If not then it is not very smart as that is not part of the cost of the fuel used.

I doubt that anybody will ever change accustomed behaviour merely on account of a meter's being "smart" or of the data it provides.

I doubt that anybody will ever change accustomed behaviour merely on account of a meter's being "smart" or of the data it provides.

That's why we won't be having one unless they become compulsory. We wouldn't be turning the heating off if it's cold just because the meter told us how much it's costing us.

I hear that you can download an app that slows the smart meters reading by half ;)

Do you know any poor/tight Yorkshire men?

I don't want a smart meter.

I already know that when I put the oven on it uses a lot of electricity, and seeing a meter whizz round (or whatever they do) is not going to make me turn it off.

However, what concerns me more about them is the constant monitoring of energy usage every half hour.

This will allow the energy company to know at what time(s) of the day I use most. I suspect that they'll then start to charge more for energy used at peak times.

All the radio adverts etc. say that a smart meter allows you to "take control of your energy" usage.

Rubbish. What it will do is allow them to change their pricing structure and charge me more.

I don't want a smart meter.

I already know that when I put the oven on it uses a lot of electricity, and seeing a meter whizz round (or whatever they do) is not going to make me turn it off.

However, what concerns me more about them is the constant monitoring of energy usage every half hour.

This will allow the energy company to know at what time(s) of the day I use most. I suspect that they'll then start to charge more for energy used at peak times.

All the radio adverts etc. say that a smart meter allows you to "take control of your energy" usage.

Rubbish. What it will do is allow them to change their pricing structure and charge me more.

All true; plus it will enable the supplier** to snoop (e.g. to tell when you're out, because little/nothing is being consumed).

(**- and anyone else who hacks into the supplier's website!)

Smart meters aren't so smart according to the bloke who came to fit one at Area 51 and a Halfâ„¢.

First thing he did was to try making a phone call from my cellar on an old mobile he had … there was no signal.

He explained that the meters work on similar old tech and were practically useless in anything but new build houses with thin walls. He advised me not to bother going any further in getting one fitted, saying that because the meter would be totally unreliable, I'd be plagued with people coming round trying to fix it as they wouldn't be able to take readings from the street.

It's not a legal requirement to have one fitted when they ask, and it was explained to me that the energy company goes for long term customers with good payment records (direct debit) as likely punters. Strangely (he explained), if you change energy providers, the smart meter has to be removed and a new one fitted as different providers refuse to share. I was told to wait for the technology to improve. Honest bloke.

All true; plus it will enable the supplier** to snoop (e.g. to tell when you're out, because little/nothing is being consumed).

(**- and anyone else who hacks into the supplier's website!)

If you have a smart meter, there will be no reason to be £200 in credit. So the energy companies may need to increase their prices ;)

Hi all

Do I have to leave it switched on all the time or can I turn it off during the night? - Will it make any difference if I do?

Thanks.

if you turn it off then you will get free energy as it wont be counting it

if you turn it off then you will get free energy as it wont be counting it

:huh:

Hmmm... I don't think that'll work.

If it's a really smart meter, wouldn't it know how long it's been switched off and just make an educated guess to adjust how much energy it thinks you've used in the time it's been asleep? :confused: