Smart Meters Thread

Had smart meters fitted on Friday is it normal for the monitor to turn itself off at night thanks

Edited by nikki-red

Do you have an instruction book or owt?

Which service is the meter on?

(I have a kind of smart meter on the water. The meter guy does not need to enter the property to take the reading. He has a device that picks up the signal (reading) that is being transmitted from my meter).

I’m guessing that your post refers to electric or gas?

What happens to the gas/electric supply when your meter shuts off.

Had smart meters fitted on Friday is it normal for the monitor to turn itself off at night thanks

Yes, my monitor turns itself off overnight as well then is back on in the morning, the meters don't turn themselves off :)

Yes, my monitor turns itself off overnight as well then is back on in the morning, the meters don't turn themselves off :)

Why when it comes back on does it start at 60p even though there's only the fridge freezer on ovenight

Assuming that your fridge has not used the 60p worth of electric, I would say that some other appliances actually use electricity when not being used, (and I`m not referring to a TV on red light stand by). I know this is a fact because I`ve tested my appliances with a meter while they were not in use, and was very surprised.

Assuming that your fridge has not used the 60p worth of electric, I would say that some other appliances actually use electricity when not being used, (and I`m not referring to a TV on red light stand by). I know this is a fact because I`ve tested my appliances with a meter while they were not in use, and was very surprised.

This is true.

Are you aware that even if you leave all your wall sockets on, electricity seeps through. This is why we are advised to not just switch our TV, electric kettles, radio's etc. Off, but to UNPLUG them from the wall socket as well.

Why when it comes back on does it start at 60p even though there's only the fridge freezer on ovenight

Do you mean it says its used 60p overnight, or that it says it is currently using 60p per hour on the monitor? Are you just talking about electricity? Your smart monitor may be different to mine as I'm on Utilita, not sure who your supplier is.

When I've switched all the lights off at night to go to bed, I still have the kids lamp on, the fish tank is running, obviously the fridge, everything else is on standby, and that uses approx 3p per hour. In the day time I tend to run at between 7p and 10p per hour for electricity. I have both gas and electric on my smart meter, and If I turn my heating on, or hot water, that costs about 90p per hour until it reaches the set temperature, which doesn't take long.

Do you mean it says its used 60p overnight, or that it says it is currently using 60p per hour on the monitor? Are you just talking about electricity? Your smart monitor may be different to mine as I'm on Utilita, not sure who your supplier is.

When I've switched all the lights off at night to go to bed, I still have the kids lamp on, the fish tank is running, obviously the fridge, everything else is on standby, and that uses approx 3p per hour. In the day time I tend to run at between 7p and 10p per hour for electricity. I have both gas and electric on my smart meter, and If I turn my heating on, or hot water, that costs about 90p per hour until it reaches the set temperature, which doesn't take long.

What happens when you reach the set temperature, how much per per hour is it then and what type of heating do you use? Does gas central heating work out cheaper than electric heating, because you have to use electric for the combi-boiler?

Just to ask if smarter meter is any good other than showing your detailed cost of everyday and no need to submit reading intermittently?

The reason I am asking is that British Gas has signed a wrong contract called 'saturday electric free', which needs smarter meter to be installed. I can simply ask them to revert to other normal contract but the sales team persist benefits of installing a smart meter etc.

I cannot see the purpose of Smart Meters. It seems that they're very intrusive, limit one's ability to switch suppliers, and are not nearly as all-beneficial as they're supposed to be.

It only works if there is a strong mobile phone signal in the area.