Any Dental Nurses..Advice Please

I was made redundant recently and am starting to get disillusioned re finding a job. I'm in my 40's and starting to think my age is going against me.

Anyway, I saw an ad for the industry standard Dental Nurse Diploma starting in June. I would have to pay for the course but I don't mind if it leads to a new Career, I do want a new Career anyway. I do have an interest in this course and Job.

Just a few tips would be great from anyone who has done it. It involves 1 night a week at Sheffield Hallam Uni, 2.5 hours, good I can manage that.

I'm not academically brilliant though, although I am more talented Vocationally. I started a Degree a few years ago and packed it in during the 2nd year due to the sheer volume of work involved, but I did get 75% in my first year. I also passed an Access Course with ease as well to get to Uni.

I'm guessing that this diploma will not be as demanding as a Degree though, Lol.

I have a Manufacturing Background, so yes, you guessed, I am Male, not many Male Dental Nurses about right?

I am practical though and although you may not think it, there are similarities with my usual job and Dental nursing in regard to planning (preparing the correct tools/implements),being meticulous etc.

Next problem, I would need to get a placement at a Dentist Surgery to complete my Portfolio and thus complete the Diploma. The company who sell the course say they will try their best to get their students a placement within 13 weeks, but there is no guarantee.

There lies the problem....NO GUARANTEE. I know I can try and get my own placement, but time is running out and I don't think I can part with the dosh with that level of uncertainty.

I'm looking on the Jobcentre website and there may be a doorway there, but I can't guarantee that either.

If I do get a placement I think I could scrape by on Minimum wage for a year, so that's no biggie.

This course runs for a year, does it have the usual term breaks that Uni Students get?

Has anyone done this course? Any other tips?

Thank you.

Edited by j4wn

I was made redundant recently and am starting to get disillusioned re finding a job. I'm in my 40's and starting to think my age is going against me.

Anyway, I saw an ad for the industry standard Dental Nurse Diploma starting in June. I would have to pay for the course but I don't mind if it leads to a new Career, I do want a new Career anyway. I do have an interest in this course and Job.

Just a few tips would be great from anyone who has done it. It involves 1 night a week at Sheffield Hallam Uni, 2.5 hours, good I can manage that.

I'm not academically brilliant though, although I am more talented Vocationally. I started a Degree a few years ago and packed it in during the 2nd year due to the sheer volume of work involved, but I did get 75% in my first year. I also passed an Access Course with ease as well to get to Uni.

I'm guessing that this diploma will not be as demanding as a Degree though, Lol.

I have a Manufacturing Background, so yes, you guessed, I am Male, not many Male Dental Nurses about right?

I am practical though and although you may not think it, there are similarities with my usual job and Dental nursing in regard to planning (preparing the correct tools/implements),being meticulous etc.

Next problem, I would need to get a placement at a Dentist Surgery to complete my Portfolio and thus complete the Diploma. The company who sell the course say they will try their best to get their students a placement within 13 weeks, but there is no guarantee.

There lies the problem....NO GUARANTEE. I know I can try and get my own placement, but time is running out and I don't think I can part with the dosh with that level of uncertainty.

I'm looking on the Jobcentre website and there may be a doorway there, but I can't guarantee that either.

If I do get a placement I think I could scrape by on Minimum wage for a year, so that's no biggie.

This course runs for a year, does it have the usual term breaks that Uni Students get?

Has anyone done this course? Any other tips?

Thank you.

Right, Hello,

I am a qualified dental nurse so I have done the qualification that you are thinking of doing.

Things I would point out to you when considering this course:

Pay for dental nurses is between £8.50 and £9.50 an hour. That's with experience and other qualifications.£9.50 an hour is considered a good rate for dental nurses. It doesn't really get any higher than this, the NHS pays a little more but that's as high as you can expect.

Progress within dental nursing in my experience is limited, you may move on to senior dental nurse roles or practice manager roles but pay is not that great and positions are limited unless you have other work experience, also lots of competition for promotion. e.g. A dental practice with five dental nurses and two receptionists all women and all wanting a promotion can get very catty.

As a dental nurse you have to be registered with the general dental council. This costs around £100 per year, you also have to continually learn and develop your knowledge. This can be costly if your employer isn't that supportive. You will need insurance to legally work but this isn't much at all. And you need a clear DBS cert.

In dental nursing you are very much at the mercy of the dentist. He/she is the operator and you as a dental nurse are there to assist in any way possible. This even means and 5.30pm when you actually finished your working day at 5.00pm You have no option but to stay and assist even if you have an appointment and want to leave. Often working through lunch breaks and having short breaks to accommodate the dentist. This isn't always the case but it is common within dental nursing.

Remember that you will be working closely with another person, and I mean closely. Sitting opposite them day in and day out. This is fine if you get along well but it can be hard. Almost like a marriage, they can get on your nerves and vice versa.

As a dental nurse you are at the bottom of the dental ladder as it were, it goes something like this:

Dental Consultant

Dentist

Dental Hygienist

Dental Nurse

Some dentists, not all can be very rude and treat nurses as though they are beneath them.

If you have other qualifications you may be better looking at something within dentistry but higher up. If you've get a science background the dental hygienist course may be better for you. It's better money and a bit more freedom with working hours etc.. The dental nursing course isn't that hard to complete. I found it easy and I'm not that academic.

If you really want to do it after thinking about all this than I would apply for an apprenticeship. That way you will get a little bit of money each week.

Edited by Bluefeline
Finishing post

Thanks @Bluefeline

A lot to think about there. You mentioned an apprenticeship, is an apprenticeship free? The Harriet Ellis NEBDN Course is £1500. Did you pay for your qualification?

Does the apprenticeship take longer?

Can someone my age do an apprenticeship?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, they keep popping into my head.

Ta!

Thanks @Bluefeline

A lot to think about there. You mentioned an apprenticeship, is an apprenticeship free? The Harriet Ellis NEBDN Course is £1500. Did you pay for your qualification?

Does the apprenticeship take longer?

Can someone my age do an apprenticeship?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, they keep popping into my head.

Ta!

Hi,

My advice would be to get in touch with Sheffield College apprenticeship dept. They will have more info but as far as I know anyone can do an apprenticeship. I did the NVQ level 3 apprenticeship.

This was working four days a week and one day at Sheffield college. I did a portfolio with assessments and an exam at the end.

Have a look for trainee dental nurse jobs. I've put a link below. I wouldn't pay out to do the training but that's just my opinion.

Also the dental hospital may be taking on trainees so have a look at that too.

https://jobsearch.direct.gov.uk/GetJob.aspx?JobID=15543460&JobTitle=Apprentice+Dental+Nurse&rad=20&rad_units=miles&pp=25&sort=rv.dt.di&vw=b&re=134&setype=2&tjt=dental+&where=Sheffield&q=&AVSDM=2015-05-19T02%3a22%3a00-05%3a00