Going to the pictures, as we used to say

Remember once sneaking into the Heeley green with a couple of other kids.

We weren't in for long though because it was an A film and the usherette came and asked us who we were with and the only thing I could think to say was they'd gone.

So they chucked us out !!!!

Happy days....

Edited by grinder

Used to go to the Kinema in Hillsborough,wander along the queue if it was an A catergory film and ask can yertekus in Mister dunt bear thinking about now days, afterwards call in Styrans sasparilla shop on Niddlewood Rd. or go to the Park Cinema now Asda further along Middlewood double seats were available for courting couples, Phoenix Cinema on Langsett Rd, opp top Morrisons entrance now Maplins,to go in the balcony you went up fifteen steps and came down fourteen [or so it seemed] Happy Days.

Remember once sneaking into the Heeley green with a couple of other kids.

We weren't in for long though because it was an A film and the usherette came and asked us who we were with and the only thing I could think to say was they'd gone.

So they chucked us out !!!!

Happy days....

We used to go in the "Green" around 1955-59.for mostly "A" films however we were anywhere from 11 years old to about 15. Who was the Usher was it Leo or Archie...something like that! The Heeley Coliseum also had an usher we used to make life miserable for by us sitting on the back row and rolling aniseed balls down the floor during the quiet part of the film! Happy times!!

It was Leo at the Heeley Coliseum I remember because my father knew him.

OUTDOORS

"can you take me in mister" You could usually get in two of my locals which were the Heeley Coliseum and Heeley Palace but the Abbeydale was a no-go as the commissionaire a chap called Horace had an eagle-eye and even if you got somebody to take you in as soon as you got near he would swoop and forbid them from doing it.

Edited by sharrovian
Mistake

Going to the Pictures, as we used to say.

Subtitled: Just thought I’d chip in.

Ref Post 12. Yes Jim, the Stanhope Road chippy was nearer to the Rex Picture Palace than Woodhouse Road chippy. My post refers to the period 1968-74. After those dates I don’t know in which years the below mentioned chippys (chippies) closed for business, which could then change the order in who is nearest to the Rex.

As the crow flies (or flew) the Stanhope Road chippy was nearest to the Rex, but for pedestrians I have slight doubts. There was a chippy on the left going up Hollinsend Road. The shop was situated where the chubby looking bungalows now stand, the ones with postage stamp sized ‘gardens’. Lol. It must also be pointed out that the shortest distance from the Rex to Stanhope Road chippy was via Hollinsend Road and not the Mansfield Road route. Although there may be only 50 yards in it. Lol. The Hollinsend Road chippy was opposite (but slightly higher up from) a grocers and a butchers shops.

There was another chips & snips shop nearer to the Rex than the one on Woodhouse Road. – Alnwick Road chippy. This is from memory.

In my opinion the chip shops in distance from the Rex are as follows:

The nearest first. I stand to be corrected.

1. Hollinsend Road – owned by a woman called Millie.

2. Stanhope Road – “ Green?

3. Alnwick Road. – Mr. Buxton. Shop stood atween Croft Road and Foxdale Ave. A butcher’s a few doors up.

4. Woodhouse Road - ?

5. Birley Moor Road? Frecheville shopping parade

6. Jaunty Way – Hopkinsons. He possibly had more chip shops – in town? If this chip shop is not reached via a shortcut through Jaunty Park, then it drops to 7th pla(i)ce.

7. Manor Top. ?

Enjoy the film, folks.

gfgnghfgffffff

Edited by EdmundH
spelling mistake

I saw the last film on the last day (evening) that was ever shown at Abbeydale Picture Palace, "Breakout" with Charles Bronson, Robert Duvall and Jill Ireland... I think it was 1975...:|

---------- Post added 09-02-2016 at 01:55 ----------

I remember the "Essoldo" or "Esseldo" at lane top... Great place for kids in saturday afternoons... There was always a Matinee with two films, a B and an A ... The main film and the accompanying or "warm up" film... We saw Flash Gordon, Tommy Steele (Tommy the toreodor) Tom Thumb with Russ Tamblyn and George Formby Films (He used to make one a day..):)

hiya I can go back to the 40's mum and nan used to take me to the hippodrome every monday Weston st Philips rd every Tuesday and weston every Saturday this was when they changed the program's twice per week, Monday and Thursday. adult price was 1 shilling

................ and at the end the national anthem was played where everybody stood up.

..... well not everybody, some people used to rush out to catch the buses home.

In the fifties the 'Star' had a full page of Sheffield picture houses, page 2 if I remember right. We used to go to the Manor, Rex, Darnall cinema, Lyric, Balfour and I think it was the Regal at the bottom of Staniforth road. Our favourite in town was the News Theatre in Fitzalan square, probably because it was cheaper than the others in the city centre.it was also the first cinema I ever took a girl to, we were about fourteen at the time, just goes to show how naive we were then, nowadays some girls that age are mothers.

Yes gomgeg, the 'Star' was a popular place to check what films were showing at most of the cinemas in the city.

Here is a typical advert from February 1953.

I used to go to the ABC Saturday morning film club back in the late 70's / early 80's. Saw Hooper at a cinema in Fitzalan Square, and often went into the tiny 2 screen cinema above Flat Street (behind/under Roxys) but can't remember what it was called. I recall a cinema on Charter Square roundabout, was it the Anvil, or Studio 123?

remember Saturday afternoons at the pavilion on the cliff won a ice cream cake there,Saturdays went much like this,swimming ether baths on the cliff or Glossop road then the pictures afternoon,later on roller skating.