Going to the pictures, as we used to say

Reading a thread about the ABC cinema got me reminiscing. The coffee shop there was a regular place for us to meet up back in the day. Almost like Cole's corner - remember that?

Does anyone remember the Coliseum Cinema on Spital Hill? Living in Pitsmoor as a child, that was our cinema of choice. Later as teenagers we always went to town, where there were lots to choose from, so we could see movies several nights a week.

You got your money's worth in those days. It was a whole evening's entertainment , with two movies - the A and the B - a cartoon and the newsreel. These days you are in and out in an hour and a half usually, and it's hard to find something of interest to seniors.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6161336497271511377

Hiya Hazelmay, Here's a picture of the Coliseum Spital Hill, i've

for got what i saw there i mainly went to the Wicker.

But somut did come mind, does anyone remember a tall bloke in a

raincoat and white slippers, people use to say it was a woman but i'am

unsure, i use to see him or her often walking on Spital Hill when my mum

sent me to the tripe shop further down Spital Hill on the right. :huh:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6161336497271511377

Maybe a long shot but that might describe 'Pond Street Nora.' The tripe shop was Howard Colley's.

Does anyone remember the old Park cinema bottom of South St? There used to be a rumour that there were rats (the four legged kind in there). I remember being taken to see the original version of Last of the Mohicans there.

Does anyone remember the old Park cinema bottom of South St? There used to be a rumour that there were rats (the four legged kind in there). I remember being taken to see the original version of Last of the Mohicans there.

Certainly. It was one of the many old cinemas often referred to as the "flea pit". Any older cinema in any older part of town also qualified for that name.

Actually it wasn't the rats or fleas you got in those days, it was the lice and bedbugs you could bring home.

Abbeydale picture palace, and the drinks shop nearby. Horlicks in a proper Horlicks type.mug.

That photo brings back loads of memories, mother used to take us just about every week from when I was about 6/7. up to being about 10 or 11 years old.

My Cinemas were, in the fifties, Darnall Cinema, Lyric, Balfour, Carlton / in the sixties, Manor and the Rex. I once went to the Hippodrome, sat in the Gods, it was like sitting on a rock face, steep and scary. The News Theatre in the Square.

Edited by lazarus

Wonder what happened to all the old short "B" pictures. Quite a few films on television that I can remember seeing at the "pictures", but no "B" pics.

Did anyone stand outside when an 'A' film was showing and ask , "tek one one in mester please". Wouldn't happen today.

Wonder what happened to all the old short "B" pictures. Quite a few films on television that I can remember seeing at the "pictures", but no "B" pics.

They are available if you know where to look on the internet.

Everything from newsreels, cartoons, Bowery Boys, Leon Errol, Frank Randel, Old Mother Riley, and I mentioned in a post below Joe McDoakes, and Pete Smith Specials.

Caution, some of 'em are hard to watch today (Old Mother Riley, Frank Randel :))

---------- Post added 22-06-2015 at 21:20 ----------

Did anyone stand outside when an 'A' film was showing and ask , "tek one one in mester please". Wouldn't happen today.

We looked for a kind looking old lady with a bag of toffees!

Why all the way to Manor Top? There was that fish & chip shop near the end of Woodhouse Rd. Wouldn't have been as far for you to walk.

Cos one of our group insisted on "Beckets", and some of us had to walk over manor Top anyway.

Richard

Replying to the thread from Lazarus re old cinemas; the description of the 'gods' at the Hippodrome as like ' sitting on a rock face', made me laugh out loud!! I have never heard them so aptly described! My long ago cinemas were all in the Walkley, Crookes and Upperthorpe ares. Walkley Palladium, Crookes Palace(or could have been Cinema) and Oxford, Upperthorpe, Oh heady days!!!. Just remembered, The Scala.