Westerns on TV 50'S and 60'swhat was your favourite

......Yep! JW was in that film directed by JF

But what was his reason to say "High Noon " was the most un-American film?

Stagecoach was as famous as High Noon, that was Ford and Wayne.

According to one web site, it was because the male characters fell short of the ideals of the Old West i.e. they were obviously scared & declined to help the sheriff who was himself frightened. Also at the end of the film the sheriff, or is it Marshall, tears off his madge & treads it into the dust, thus showing contempt for authority. John Wayne could never have played the lead as the outcome would have been a certainty!

Bravery isn't the absence of fear, it's doing something despite that fear, that is what JW perhaps missed. Treading the badge into the dust is showing his disillusionment for those who didn't have the courage to overcome their fears and do the right thing, doing a sheriff's job requires the back up of the community at large.

Here endeth the lesson.

Bravery isn't the absence of fear, it's doing something despite that fear, that is what JW perhaps missed. Treading the badge into the dust is showing his disillusionment for those who didn't have the courage to overcome their fears and do the right thing, doing a sheriff's job requires the back up of the community at large.

Here endeth the lesson.

Thank you chrishall - I couldn't have said it better myself, you are right on the money. fleetwood

Here endeth the lesson.

Tha nose wot, ah think tha gorrit r8, so ah waint gu for mi gun , but wotch it, awaint tell thi a geyan. By the way you write like Sean Connery talks in the Untouchables.lol

Edited by TORONTONY

Tha nose wot, ah think tha gorrit r8, so ah waint gu for mi gun , but wotch it, awaint tell thi a geyan. By the way you write like Sean Connery talks in the Untouchables.lol

Or eight, ahl get dee a pint a Stooenses daahn at saloon.

I ant got Connery's luks an never av, but ahv still got me 'air.

Edited by chrishall

..........this is 'ow a Yorkshire cowboy mita delt wi' John Wayne...

Edited by mossdog

gfdgfgdsrdxvcc

Edited by EdmundH

Or eight, ahl get dee a pint a Stooenses daahn at saloon.

I ant got Connery's luks an never av, but ahv still got me 'air.

Wot culler iz thi air tho;)

Wot culler iz thi air tho;)

Erm.. ginger(ish) ... or it were, nah it's grey.

Ginger heeaded gunslinger from Sheff, unbeatable.

Edited by chrishall

Not exactly Sheffield 'Dee Dah" language but Yorkshire anyway!

Also this,

Just watched a western 1948 film on TV the Staion West with Dick Powell.