Westerns on TV 50'S and 60'swhat was your favourite

.........Has Mr Dillon and Chester had a mention?

Gun Law, later called Gunsmoke.

Gun Law, later called Gunsmoke.

Checkout post 32...lol

---------- Post added 19-07-2015 at 21:55 ----------

.........Has Mr Dillon and Chester had a mention?

Look at# 32

Checkout post 32...lol

---------- Post added 19-07-2015 at 21:55 ----------

Look at# 32

........Sorry ,missed that!.....Mr Dillon.

........Sorry ,missed that!.....Mr Dillon.

LOL, I actually met Chester ( Dennis Weaver) in 1987, when a few movie scenes were shot at our steelworks. He celebrated his 60th birthday, during the 3 day session. Everybody on the production crew were a ton of fun, especially the actors. Dennis came over as a very warm and friendly person.

Did he have limp ?

LOL, no he didn't, that was all an act:hihi:

Do you think the Westerns could ever make a come back at all or are we too PC these days ?

There used to be some great westerns but now the Indians are the good guys all we seem to get from America are the FBI and police detective crime series....

Think the last I can remember was the Lonesome Dove one and that was great....

Edited by grinder

Do you think the Westerns could ever make a come back at all or are we too PC these days ?

There used to be some great westerns but now the Indians are the good guys all we seem to get from America are the FBI and police detective crime series....

Think the last I can remember was the Lonesome Dove one and that was great....

Robert Duvall, wasn't it?, very good that was. I honestly can't think of anything in recent years. . I don't see it ever going back to it either as they are expensive to make, and most of the props like the western towns are beyond repair and all the horse training and animal rights groups around these days. Cops and robber stories are cheap to make as any North American city can be used and call it something else. They used to call Toronto Hollywood North in the 80's because of the low Canadian dollar, which is back there again incidentally. Toronto has "been" Boston, Chicago, San Diego etc. etc. Where I live, very close to lake Ontario, you used to see film crews all over the place on a daily basis, and cop cars with some American town's Sherriff written on I quite regularly.Funny you should mention Indians, my youngest daughter lives in Brantford, about 50 mles from Toronto and home to one of the biggest reservations , called 6 nations, they are mainly Mohawk. You can drive through and buy cigarettes for 1/3 the normal price , fill up your car with no tax added and have a couple of tax free pints at one of their bars, while you're at it. The one's who live on the reserve pay no taxes. Of course if you are not a resident you could be done , for bring cigs out,but cops have to have a reason to pull you over, in the first place. If they are for you own use nobody cares anyway.

Hiya Guys, Must be years since i watched a western on TV, Gunsmoke-

James Arness as Matt Dillon the Sheriff, was a treat to watch in black/white.

Robert Duvall, wasn't it?, very good that was. I honestly can't think of anything in recent years. . I don't see it ever going back to it either as they are expensive to make, and most of the props like the western towns are beyond repair and all the horse training and animal rights groups around these days. Cops and robber stories are cheap to make as any North American city can be used and call it something else. They used to call Toronto Hollywood North in the 80's because of the low Canadian dollar, which is back there again incidentally. Toronto has "been" Boston, Chicago, San Diego etc. etc. Where I live, very close to lake Ontario, you used to see film crews all over the place on a daily basis, and cop cars with some American town's Sherriff written on I quite regularly.Funny you should mention Indians, my youngest daughter lives in Brantford, about 50 mles from Toronto and home to one of the biggest reservations , called 6 nations, they are mainly Mohawk. You can drive through and buy cigarettes for 1/3 the normal price , fill up your car with no tax added and have a couple of tax free pints at one of their bars, while you're at it. The one's who live on the reserve pay no taxes. Of course if you are not a resident you could be done , for bring cigs out,but cops have to have a reason to pull you over, in the first place. If they are for you own use nobody cares anyway.

I think the movie makers aim for more authenticity nowadays than they once did. The Roy Rogers, Gene Autry type movies, although good entertainment at the time, have fallen by the wayside these days. Western themed movies are more realistic and 'gritty' than in bygone days. A recent TV example was 'The Johnson County War'. It starred Tom Berenger, playing the part of Nate Champion, a minor cattleman in Wyoming back in the 1800's. The basic story was all true, only the portrayal of Marshal Canton? was a little 'iffy'. The part was taken by Burt Reynolds, a little out of place I thought. Anyhow, watch it if you get the chance, then look the story up.

Surprised to see the sale of booze on a reservation.

In theses so called 'realistic' westerns all the cowboys speak with American accents, in reality some spoke with Yorkshire accents having not long emigrated there. Maybe some were from Sheffield!

"Naden dee, if da guz for de gun ahl drill de full er oils"

Not impossible.

In theses so called 'realistic' westerns all the cowboys speak with American accents, in reality some spoke with Yorkshire accents having not long emigrated there. Maybe some were from Sheffield!

"Naden dee, if da guz for de gun ahl drill de full er oils"

Not impossible.

Lol, you do have a point ,my stepfather had an uncle who was supposedly on a posse that chased Billy The Kid and he was a thorough bred Yorkshireman from Woodhouse Mill.

---------- Post added 04-03-2016 at 18:42 ----------

I think the movie makers aim for more authenticity nowadays than they once did. The Roy Rogers, Gene Autry type movies, although good entertainment at the time, have fallen by the wayside these days. Western themed movies are more realistic and 'gritty' than in bygone days. A recent TV example was 'The Johnson County War'. It starred Tom Berenger, playing the part of Nate Champion, a minor cattleman in Wyoming back in the 1800's. The basic story was all true, only the portrayal of Marshal Canton? was a little 'iffy'. The part was taken by Burt Reynolds, a little out of place I thought. Anyhow, watch it if you get the chance, then look the story up.

Surprised to see the sale of booze on a reservation.

Native reservations in Canada are not enclosed or anything, anybody can pass through at will, and as far as booze is concerned alcohoiism is about 5 times the national average in the native population, especially in isolated areas up in northern Canada. The thing is they do not pay taxes if they are registered unless they choose to live outside of the reserves. They can also move freely between Canada and the US. I don't think they sell booze to take home, that is illegal , especially in Ontario, but you can drink in their bars and restaurants at their prices.