Westerns on TV 50'S and 60'swhat was your favourite

I remember William Tell and Robin Hood with Richard Greene as Robin.

I remember William Tell and Robin Hood with Richard Greene as Robin.

What about The Buccaneers with Robert Shaw and Ivanhoe with Roger Moore.Thinking back we had some decent stuff to watch on Telly when we were kids.

---------- Post added 20-06-2015 at 09:43 ----------

Going of subject a tad e.g."Westerns",remember William Tell?.I watched every one without fail,in those days my body shape was the same as his,nowadays its more like "Lamberger Guessler"remember him?.

LOL:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Edited by TORONTONY

Going of subject a tad e.g."Westerns",remember William Tell?.I watched every one without fail,in those days my body shape was the same as his,nowadays its more like "Lamberger Guessler"remember him?.

Yes William Tell with David Whitfield singing the theme tune. Conrad Phillips (Tell) and Willoughby Goddard (Gessler).

Not mentioned here but for what it's worth, Roger Moore could not act himself out of a wet paper bag, James Bond or not!

What about Range Rider he could shoot em down

Anyone remember The Gay Cavalier?

Anyone remember The Gay Cavalier?

I seem to remember a show with cavaliers and roundheads, maybe that was it. It brings to mind The Scarlet Pimpernel with Marius Goring in the lead role, as it was a similar period.

I seem to remember a show with cavaliers and roundheads, maybe that was it. It brings to mind The Scarlet Pimpernel with Marius Goring in the lead role, as it was a similar period.

I think it was set during the English Civil War & the title character was a sort French version of the Scarlet Pimpernel. I seem to remember that he was always outwitting the dastardly Puritans & rescuing assorted attractive ladies.

Back on topic, my favourite Western was Rawhide. It had that terrific theme song belted out by Frankie Laine who appeared in one episode, if I remember rightly, & sang Worried Man Blues. Apart from that, most episodes featured quite a lot of action & little of that soppy stuff that marred such shows as Wagon Train.

Edited by fatrajah

I think it was set during the English Civil War & the title character was a sort French version of the Scarlet Pimpernel. I seem to remember that he was always outwitting the dastardly Puritans & rescuing assorted attractive ladies.

Sadly no episodes have survived. I remember the tune though, words were something like "..the gay cavalier and a sword for the king.."

I used to pester my mum to source an ostrich feather to stick in my cowboy hat, never did find one so had to make do with ordinary feathers, very disappointing though I could have been William Tell instead but I didn't have a crossbow.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gay_Cavalier

Edited by chrishall

What was he doing rescuing attractive ladies,I thought he was a Gay Cavalier?.:rolleyes::roll::hihi::hihi:

Surprise not to see Randolf Scott on these pages, can anyone remind me

what films he was in, i can remember in the 60s when some lasses you to go

made about him.

My favourite cowboy film-High Noon starring Gary Cooper.

Surprise not to see Randolf Scott on these pages, can anyone remind me

what films he was in, i can remember in the 60s when some lasses you to go

made about him.

He was in lots of films but not any major ones, bit like Rod Cameron, Cameron Mitchell, Ronald Reagan etc etc.