Westerns on TV 50'S and 60'swhat was your favourite

Couldn't work out why people were calling it Gunsmoke when I remembered it as Gun Law.

Apparently according to Google the first series shown in the UK was called Gun Law and then afterwards it was Gunsmoke. I bet you're all grateful for that useless piece of information, aren't you?

Yes we (I) am and also 'Lawman' 'He wore a badge and a gun, there was a job to be done... Lawman...'

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 19:47 ----------

Yes Fleming tragically drowned, while filming an episode.

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 12:47 ----------

Ok, where are all the older Wednesdayites? When I started this thread, I deliberately never mentioned one particular series and had a bet that it would be mentioned within 3 posts, Still it is not and I lose my bet The actor was Ty Hardin and the title rhymed with " riding across the Texas plain"****** ****** ***** C'mon guys sing along:P:P:P

"there ain't a horse that he can't tame' and I'm an older Wenesdayite, not that anyone else didn't know.

While we're on this subject lets not forget the man who was prominent singing many theme songs from the western films and tv series, the immortal Frankie Laine, 'Rawhide, 'Blazing Saddles, 'High Noon,' and my favourite from him "The 3:10 to Yuma' a Glenn Ford and western classic. Plus another one of his, maybe not from a film 'That lucky old sun..ain't got nothin' to do ...but to roam around heaven all day.

I thought the theme song for Bronco Layne went like this:

Born down around the old Panhandle,

Texas is where he grew to fame,

There ain't a horse that he can't handle,

That's how he got his name,

Bronco, Bronco, tearing across the Texas plain,

Bronco, Bronco, Bronco Layne.

Couldn't work out why people were calling it Gunsmoke when I remembered it as Gun Law.

Apparently according to Google the first series shown in the UK was called Gun Law and then afterwards it was Gunsmoke. I bet you're all grateful for that useless piece of information, aren't you?

The original series was always called Gun Smoke in the US, ITV changed the name on British TV, for whatever reason . Happened a lot in those days, Tenderfoot became Sugarfoot etc. Also happened the other way around. Remember Danger Man, in North America it was called Secret Agent Man, which was also a hit song by Johnny Rivers. Yes I know Johnny who?. Apparently he was very big in the States in those days. I have heard a lot of his stuff on oldies radio over here, he was not that bad.

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 16:36 ----------

I thought the theme song for Bronco Layne went like this:

Born down around the old Panhandle,

Texas is where he grew to fame,

There ain't a horse that he can't handle,

That's how he got his name,

Bronco, Bronco, tearing across the Texas plain,

Bronco, Bronco, Bronco Layne.

Sounds about right, did you sing it as you wrote it down ? LOL

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 16:43 ----------

Yep. You sure did partner. Sorry I missed it. Must have had my Stetson pulled down too far over my eyes

Nothing like an afternoon nap after a session at the saloon:P

how about Laramie with Robert Fuller John Smith and Spring Byington,i bet not many remembers her name.

Anyone remember "Sugarfoot"?

Me.

Changed to/from "Tenderfoot" for some reason....

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 22:34 ----------

Surprised nobody mentioned 'Bonanza' but always found it a bit mawkish. Some of the better ones; 'Boots and Saddles', 'The Virginian', Dale Robertson's 'Wells Fargo' and 'Ironhorse' and the Australian one 'Whiplash' with American Peter Graves.

Forgotten about 'Boots and Saddles'....yes, that was about a cavalry troop if my memory serves.

I still remember the theme music, but couldn't recall what it was from!

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 22:38 ----------

how about Laramie with Robert Fuller John Smith and Spring Byington,i bet not many remembers her name.

...and Hoagy Carmichael...

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 22:50 ----------

"Have gun - will travel" and "Maverick", which featured our own Roger Moore as an English relative (Beau) to the main pair of Brett and Bart....

Edited by RiffRaff

How about Boots and Sadles all about a cavalry unit.

Talk about cavalry units, what about the spoof on that called F Troop with Forest Tucker and the hilarious indian chief.

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 19:30 ----------

Just remembered, when one of my mates sprained his ankle , but still came out one Saturday. He was limping pretty bad and kept lagging behind when we were doing the West street tour. Between the Saddle and the West street Hotel, we heard this loud voice from behind shouting Mr Dillon..Mr Dillon, we turned around and there was our mate trying to run and hop at the same time, just like Chester. We just pee'ed ourselves

Anyone remember The Big Valley from the mid 60s? Also The Loner starring Lloyd Bridges?

Edited by fatrajah

The Big Valley was a ranch headed by a woman was'nt it?

One of my favourites was "Rifleman" with Chuck Connors. The intro had him walking down the street, then firing his rifle a dozen times in about 4 seconds ..... Brilliant scene.

---------- Post added 06-06-2015 at 14:29 ----------

I also liked Paladin, The Dakota's, Wanted Dead or Alive with Steve McQueen. They just don't make them like that anymore.

Another Chuck Connors series was "Branded" about an army officer given a dishonourable discharge for cowardice.