Big Issue banned by Waitrose

I've never had a problem saying "no thank you" to BI sellers*, nor have I ever felt "intimidated" into having to buy one.

Let's look at how that conversation should have gone.

Shopper: I don't want to see Big Issue sellers when I come shopping.

Waitrose Manager: Please feel free to take your custom to Tesco's.

Sorted!

* from the vendors I mean.

Are you meant to just ignore customers who have complained? Some people dont like it so he was told to move on.

What if it was a Roma women begging.....i bet everyone would complain?

Edited by TheRocketMan

I get the feeling some peoples definition of 'aggressive' is what others would consider just merely 'being spoken to'.

We really do need help if 100 pathetic whingers sought fit to actually complain about the bloke, it's not like he held them up for the money or anything.

I have actually been berated by a Big Issue seller for not wanting to buy one, so they aren't all sweetness and light.

What if it was a Roma women begging.....i bet everyone would complain?

There's a slight difference in that Waitrose have up to now actively taken the line that it's a good thing to have a pitch on their property. They've now changed their mind.

You're right that Waitrose have the right to ignore their customers, but I suspect that they'll now be hearing a lot from other customers they have who up to now haven't had a reason to complain.

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 14:42 ----------

I have actually been berated by a Big Issue seller for not wanting to buy one, so they aren't all sweetness and light.

They also aren't all the same. Lots of people's experiences of him conflict with the idea of him being "aggressive" - the fact that some people on this thread are also complaining of double glazing salespeople who act aggressively outside Morrison's there's quite possibly reason to assume that "aggressive" means something along the lines of "asking me if I'd like to buy something that I actually don't want, and feel uncomfortable about saying no to". I'm sure that neither the Big Issue salesperson, nor the double glazing salesperson (and ones who give you the opportunity to walk straight past them, as opposed to the ones who try to gain entry into your house and then not leave) are really being very aggressive.

Big Issue sellers I have found if you just say 'No thanks' and walk on don;t have a problem and Andy - no problem. So what's he done to the 100 who complained exactly that has caused him to be banned? If Waitrose have said someone else can sell Big Issue will the '100' object to him/her? If I was a betting person I'd say yes. You see we can't b having that sort of person in S11 - OMG the horror! To those who complained - grow up this is reality. Yes there are homeless people and they ask you to buy a mag! Growup!

Grow up yourself! What has the postcode got to do with anything?! read the article. Educate yourself

We have a cleaner (a pair of them in fact) via a cleaning company.

Once a week for an hour, so two hours of labour. Dusting, vacuuming, cleaning kitchen and bathrooms. They do a great job.

We both work full time, plenty of money coming in, and I've got better things to do with my evenings and weekends than cleaning the house, so why not?

Why would you care what somebody else thinks? They can feel good about themselves whilst scrubbing the toilet on a Saturday afternoon.

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 09:37 ----------

Why do you assume they are snobbish?

Because they (myself included) like to buy some of the nice things that Waitrose sell?

I haven't a clue why I think Waitrose customers are snobs.

Are you claiming that only snobs have cleaners?

I haven't a clue why I think Waitrose customers are snobs.
They probably have some PC Lefties also!

Yorkshire Windows?

Has anyone ever bought it? It is crap. If he was selling Auto Trader I'd rather buy that.

Just shop at Chatsworth Farm shop, better class of customer anyhow.

Are you claiming that only snobs have cleaners?

No. Just those with cleaners and who shop at Waitrose.