Big Issue banned by Waitrose

A Big Issue seller has been asked to move on by Waitrose.

I have found Andy to be a cheerful and positive person.

story here

petition here

A Big Issue seller has been asked to move on by Waitrose.

I have found Andy to be a cheerful and positive person.

story here

petition here

Me too. I personally not had a problem

However, I have to say that even being a story is just another load of keyboard campaigners.

Why all the "outrage" ??? Why even is there a petition for god sake??

Waitrose's land. Waitrose's decision.

There is clearly been more to this whole thing than is being said and they are even on record stating they are perfectly happy for a DIFFERENT seller to be on the pitch.

The supermarket received more than 100 complaints from shoppers who claimed that they 'felt forced' to buy a copy.

Mr Ross was then moved to the store's exit, where he continued to sell the publication. But he is now said to have 'flouted' that condition

The supermarket insisted it had worked hard to try and come to a resolution with Mr Ross and that it would welcome a different seller on the site.

A Waitrose spokesman said...."We are very supportive of the work of The Big Issue and had welcomed Andy on our site for many years, but for a number of reasons this is unfortunately no longer possible and we have agreed with the Big Issue that he work in another area..."

Considering the entire store, pathways, car park and surrounding compound is all their own land I would say if anything Waitrose have been more than tolerant. Why are these 480+ people campaigning (by which I mean the big impressive act of clicking an online petition) about something they clearly know nothing about? Its pathetic.

The guy has not been imprisoned or shot or sectioned. He can simply move to one of the many other places to sell his BI magazines.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Big Issue sellers I have found if you just say 'No thanks' and walk on don;t have a problem and Andy - no problem. So what's he done to the 100 who complained exactly that has caused him to be banned? If Waitrose have said someone else can sell Big Issue will the '100' object to him/her? If I was a betting person I'd say yes. You see we can't b having that sort of person in S11 - OMG the horror! To those who complained - grow up this is reality. Yes there are homeless people and they ask you to buy a mag! Growup!

Never had a problem with Andy. We always have a chat when I go and I've never seen him be in your face or aggressive about selling the paper.

I have also seen him venture around the front of the shop but usually it's when he is popping in for a coffee or helping someone with their shopping.

I asked a manager where hen hd gone, and was told " to another store", which struck me as odd

I have never found him aggressive, I didn't always buy a copy, but he was fine with that, altho he did sometimes go to the entrance too. Surely they could have politely asked him to stay in one place

Big shame on Waitrose

I find aggressive selling at supermarket doorways and in shopping centres (or anywhere) irritating. I suspect many other people feel the same and Waitrose have belatedly realised that.

Whether it's the Big Issue, double glazing or the AA it's all irritating badgering. By all means stand there silently but don't harangue people or it becomes like Fargate.

.....more than 100 complaints from shoppers .......

I think that says more about the snobs who shop at Waitrose than about the BI seller.

Never had a problem with him but I'm not there every minute.

Two sides to every story and I doubt that knowing the fallout Waitrose would have taken this decision lightly.

Big Issue sellers I have found if you just say 'No thanks' and walk on don;t have a problem and Andy - no problem. So what's he done to the 100 who complained exactly that has caused him to be banned? If Waitrose have said someone else can sell Big Issue will the '100' object to him/her? If I was a betting person I'd say yes. You see we can't b having that sort of person in S11 - OMG the horror! To those who complained - grow up this is reality. Yes there are homeless people and they ask you to buy a mag! Growup!

The Waitrose in question is in S1 isn't it?

I think that says more about the snobs who shop at Waitrose than about the BI seller.

Well, I suppose Waitrose are perfectly entitled to be more concerned about the "snobs who shop at Waitrose" than people that don't.

So, I wonder how many people who have signed the petition have actually bought a copy from him, rather than just merely jumping on the faux outrage bandwagon?

Most on them that i see selling the big issue are smackheads on drugs and have nothing to be with being homeless.