Big Issue banned by Waitrose

Go on what? You said it was liberalism to 'allow' him to sell something. You also thought it was some form of charity.

big issue is more or less charity.

No it isn't.

yes it is.

I'm surprised that students can afford to shop there, unless, like me, they're getting the odd item
It's not so much the students that can afford it, but rather their parents.

yes it is.

Do you know the difference between a fact and an opinion?

Do you know the difference between a fact and an opinion?

I was going to ask you the same thing on the 'city centre' thread?

They don't seem to have a replacement.

The idea that Waitrose is populated by the white middle classes is completely erroneous. Although there is this element, the majority of customers are students and people from the large nearby council estate.

No I know that not all people who shop at Waitrose are middle class. I just assumed it was that group that complained and got him kicked out. Because I never understood what the problem was with him.

No I know that not all people who shop at Waitrose are middle class. I just assumed it was that group that complained and got him kicked out. Because I never understood what the problem was with him.

Don't know who complained - or indeed if anyone did, it's possible the management just wanted rid of him. A couple of years ago he was moved from the front door to the back, then they decided they did not like him going into the store to buy sandwiches and drink ( not alcohol ) Whilst he was always polite, he did have his problems and the last few weeks he was there I got a distinct impression he was a bit "hyper" so who knows ?

Don't know who complained - or indeed if anyone did, it's possible the management just wanted rid of him. A couple of years ago he was moved from the front door to the back, then they decided they did not like him going into the store to buy sandwiches and drink ( not alcohol ) Whilst he was always polite, he did have his problems and the last few weeks he was there I got a distinct impression he was a bit "hyper" so who knows ?

Well they used some excuse that they recieved complaints so either the customers are snobs not liking him or Waitrose just dont like him there. They did say they wanted an alternative seller but I seems thats not the case.

I was going to ask you the same thing on the 'city centre' thread?

The one where you keep posting an opinion as if it's an objective fact, but can't provide any evidence to support it... :huh:

I don't prescribe to your brand of namby pamby liberalism. And don't choose to simply ignore anti-social behaviour.
Hello TCJ1, it's your second favourite namby pamby liberal here again disagreeing with you.

What you describe as "anti-social behaviour", isn't actually worthy of the name. It's just less fortunate people walking round town. Maybe if you gave them enough money, they could fly off to that island you want to ship them all to so you don't have to look at them?

---------- Post added 22-09-2015 at 13:40 ----------

Nobody should be homeless in this day and age. We have mechanisms in place to prevent this.
And I was homeless for years. At 16 I didn't have family to put me up, was thrown in an adult's hostel full of drug addicts and recently released prisoners (including sex offenders), exposed to all sorts of things. Being incredibly immature and irresponsible, I didn't pay my rent (100% my own fault admittedly, but come on, I was 16!), and found myself with nowhere to live. Because I owed the council money, they wouldn't give me anywhere, I lost my place in college and had nowhere to go. At times my few friends would give me a sofa, but I had to spend most nights in a car park or under a bridge.

In the end, I was incredibly lucky to have friends who could help me out over the years, and now I have a good job and a room in a shared house. It was pure luck though, it could so easily have gone the other way if no-one showed me any compassion. Lots of people aren't that fortunate though, I can't imagine what it's like to be in that position and have no-one to turn to. It's so much easier to slip into that situation than you seem to think. If it was up to people like you, I'd have been left to rot and probably shipped off to some island somewhere with the rest of the peasantry.

Bumped into Andy today at Orchard Square. His landlord at the house he shared is selling the property and he has been 'sofa surfing'. At the moment though, he is homeless and on the streets. I know that Andy has his supporters, so a 'heads up' that he needs a bit of extra help at the moment.