Working Class Sheffield

What proportion of the working population do you think our "Young professionals" make up of the work force in Sheffield and is enough being done in Sheffield to bring them in and keep them here?

It's probably relatively small, census data might be able to answer the question for you more specifically.

http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadDatasetList.do?a=7&b=276794&c=S7+1NU&d=13&g=366032&i=1001x1003&m=0&r=0&s=1368021935259&enc=1&domainId=13

Start here and see if there's anything that's going to help you work it out.

---------- Post added 21-09-2015 at 15:39 ----------

http://www.abc1demographic.co.uk/

I guess you want to know how many people under 30 (or whatever age you set) and over 18 are in groups A, B or C1.

---------- Post added 21-09-2015 at 15:44 ----------

Oh, and this is always good for a laugh

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

"Onthetyne" I think "Doffing your cap" went out before Upstairs/Downstairs took to the air. Recommend don't think about it anymore.

I loved the story of the lady from Paisley and there are probably many more like that.

In most democratic countries, I think the primary distinctions now are the working class and the wealthy. The professionals and politicos are working for a living, and cannot stop as the wealthy can. Even dentists, solicitors etc, must work, but they may define themselves as middle class ?

Self made people who are making the transition to wealth cannot stop either. Once they have tasted success they want more !

In most democratic countries, I think the primary distinctions now are the working class and the wealthy. The professionals and politicos are working for a living, and cannot stop as the wealthy can. Even dentists, solicitors etc, must work, but they may define themselves as middle class ?

Self made people who are making the transition to wealth cannot stop either. Once they have tasted success they want more !

That's not what working class ever meant. The middle class have always needed to work.

That's not what working class ever meant. The middle class have always needed to work.

Which class "doesn't" work for a living?

Upper class, the landed gentry or those who inherit large amounts of money.

Arbourthorne, Manor Top and Gleadless Valley seem to be the last bastions of working class [PROPER] Sheffielder's .

Upper class, the landed gentry or those who inherit large amounts of money.

i think you are correct i dont think there are many of them on the Arbourthorne, Manor Top and Gleadless Valley

The difference between working and middle class in the old days was property wasn't it? But obviously that's changed nowadays with more available credit and mortages etc. (Edit - and a lot less social housing.)

I read something about there being a much more complex class structure now, but I suppose it's all very subjective. I would say there's no clear line between working and middle class anymore, and it certainly doesn't seem as divisive as it did in the past... although I wasn't there at the time so I can't really say that for sure!

It's a fair bit more complex now, and all pretty subjective.

Take Wayne Rooney for example, comes from what most would describe as a typical working class area of Liverpool.

Gets pretty decent with kicking a bag of wind about and now he's paid a kings ransom on a weekly basis.

So where does he fall now??

Personally I don't see the need to even attempt to pigeon-hole people into a class structure anymore, but others seem desperate to cling onto 'the old ways'.

I think the saying goes some thing like,no matter how much money you acquire, if you are born working class thats what you are.

thought

if you are born an aristocrat thats also what you are, if you go skint you dont get relegated to working class.

The government certainly measure it differently now, ABC1C2DE with C1+ being roughly equivalent to middle class, and nothing to represent the independently wealthy and/or retired.

---------- Post added 23-09-2015 at 08:55 ----------

I think the saying goes some thing like,no matter how much money you acquire, if you are born working class thats what you are.

thought

if you are born an aristocrat thats also what you are, if you go skint you dont get relegated to working class.

Doesn't say very much for social mobility then, which is a shame.

I'm not sure it's true though. The children of Rooney, if he has any, will be wealthy middle class. He isn't though, despite having money.

But between generations the family has moved from working class.

If you can eat Chinese with chop sticks and don't order chips and curry at a Chinese, I'd say your pretty middle class!