Working Class Sheffield

So why do people want young professionals and not call centre workers.....

Which people?

AFAIK nobody advertised and says "not call centre workers", they might claim that an area is ideal for YPs, but that doesn't somehow mean that the landlord cares.

---------- Post added 31-07-2016 at 15:25 ----------

At least in that idea, everyone would be with their ilk and they wouldn't feel that their neighbours were below them?

People would be of equal status and there would no class issues

Many of the categories overlap of course.

For example, pensioner can overlap with many of the other categories.

Professional can overlap with well off and middle class, etc...

This already happens though, you get areas that have a higher proportion of pensioners, you get areas that (through pricing) are restricted largely to the well off and/or middle class professionals, students tend to congregate in certain places, etc, etc...

You've lost me, nobody with that username has posted on this thread...

---------- Post added 31-07-2016 at 16:06 ----------

Perhaps you mean this

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1474191&highlight=young+professional

Note how it doesn't say anything about not letting to working class, it just asks where he can attract students and YPs...

But why might a landlord look for YPs.

Might be a perception of high disposable income.

Likely to be out a lot and so not heavy on the property.

Unlikely to be out of work.

A perception that they'll be reasonable and easy to get on with and/or not demanding tenants.

Just a few guesses as to why.

At least in that idea, everyone would be with their ilk and they wouldn't feel that their neighbours were below them?

All people are of equal ilk - why should they feel others are above or beneath them?

I judge people by their character, not by how much money and goods they have. And I also accept that people like to live in different ways. As long as they do others no harm what's wrong with that? I love the diversity.

Sharrow? Nether Edge? Hunter's Bar? Clarkhouse Road / Lower Ecclesall Road?

I don't live there, (although I went to College there) but that's the way they've always struck me. No doubt someone who does will put me right...

ok I kinda see what you mean.

Altho the areas you mentioned are city centre areas and largely student/uni etc areas . although sharrow is a poor inner city area. I live in the other areas you mentioned. imo they are largely working class and largely white .

Edited by WestTinsley

ok I kinda see what you mean.

Altho the areas you mentioned are city centre areas and largely student/uni etc areas . although sharrow is a poor inner city area. I live in the other areas you mentioned. imo they are largely working class and largely white .

Heeley largely fits the bill too - Brother's Arms serves gluten free beer for Pete's sake (don't know who Pete is btw, but presumably he's coeliac or at least intolerant of wheat). Yet there is also an extremely mixed demographic in the area. Maybe it's changed recently courtesy of regeneration spilling over from Abbeydale Rd, new housing developments on East Bank Road end of the region, spill out from Meersbrook popularity etc...

Heeley largely fits the bill too - Brother's Arms serves gluten free beer for Pete's sake (don't know who Pete is btw, but presumably he's coeliac or at least intolerant of wheat). Yet there is also an extremely mixed demographic in the area. Maybe it's changed recently courtesy of regeneration spilling over from Abbeydale Rd, new housing developments on East Bank Road end of the region, spill out from Meersbrook popularity etc...

Probably 'Brother' Pete McKee:hihi:

Massive generalisation I know, but I don't feel comfortable with middle class people. I don't mean people who come from working class backgrounds and have entered the Professions or done well in Business etc. I believe that actually they are still working class in background and outlook. I also know people who did the same job as me ( retired now) who were middle class and I didn't fell particularly at ease with them.

I find the middle classes either unconsciously sneery or overly nice or both, but then again I'm an inverted snob.

Eg in Politics think Andy Burnham (working class ) and Ed Milliband

---------- Post added 02-08-2016 at 06:14 ----------

All people are of equal ilk - why should they feel others are above or beneath them?

I judge people by their character, not by how much money and goods they have. And I also accept that people like to live in different ways. As long as they do others no harm what's wrong with that? I love the diversity.

Hi Anna

"All people are of equal ilk" That sounds like a patronising middle class statement to me. The Parliamentary Eton Boys like Boris "Pfeffel" Johnson and "Call me Dave" who make statements like " we're all in it together" and " it's not where you're coming from its where you're going to "

If class doesn't exist in Britain any more how come the 8% of "us" who went to Public School " or Posh State Schools get 80% of the top jobs, eg Judiciary, Anglican Bishops, Corporate Business, Military, MP's etc

My local MP in the Dearne Valley, John Heeley, is an ex Public Schoolboy

...........................yeah like separateness,

or the state of being apart,

literally apart(neighbour) hoods.

Oh sod it. Lets call it like it is Apartheid!

...........................yeah like separateness,

or the state of being apart,

literally apart(neighbour) hoods.

Oh sod it. Lets call it like it is Apartheid!

My Bold

Thats apartheid is it

That's an enforced separation isn't it, rather than a voluntary and unconscious desire to live with people similar to yourselves.

Last time my dad visited UK he mentioned to me. WOW England still has a real class system its unbelievable they still think like that.