Please help- how do I use Brook Hill Roundabout (University)

Im not wrong! left is for left turn!! straight on doesnt have to be 12 o'clock, it simply means not left!

---------- Post added 04-06-2015 at 22:30 ----------

further more, if you are waiting at the next exit to get on to the roundabout and see a car in the left lane, you could set off goingm assuming they are turning left as per their lane markings, only to have them NOT turn off to the left and plough into the side of you.

So long as you understood that left was the 1st two exits and that straight on meant the second one again (in the RHL) and the next one, then everything would be fine.

No danger on that roundabout this morning, it's all entirely gridlocked.

So long as you understood that left was the 1st two exits and that straight on meant the second one again (in the RHL) and the next one, then everything would be fine.

Gotcha.......

Some of the confusion is due to the contradiction between the direction arrows (left arrow means left/1st exit only) and the actual lane markings (left lane allows for 1st or 2nd exit). I think the lane markings are correct and I'd consider the left hand lane 1st or 2nd exit (into left hand lane) and the middle lane 2nd (into right hand lane) or 3rd exit.

Amanda - you should not be setting off until the cars on the roundabout have passed, you're supposed to give way to traffic from the right at roundabouts regardless of where you think they will exit.

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 19:00 ----------

One thing that annoys me on this roundabout is the approach up Netherthorpe Road towards the roundabout where cars in the left lane suddenly barge into the middle lane, ignoring the lane markings and cutting up cars that had the foresight to get into the correct lane earlier on (ie. right lane for straight on or right).

As a regular Sheffield driver the roundabout is definitely one of the more dangerous junctions, and placing pedestrian crossings to force traffic to queue back up on the roundabout certainly doesn't help (but sums up our council road planners quite well).

Edited by WiseOwl182

One thing that annoys me on this roundabout is the approach up Netherthorpe Road towards the roundabout where cars in the left lane suddenly barge into the middle lane, ignoring the lane markings and cutting up cars that had the foresight to get into the correct lane earlier on (ie. right lane for straight on or right).

Yeah, it wouldn't do any harm to have some signage up further down the approach to remind people which lane they need to be in to be able to filter into the middle lane.

Worse are those coming up Broad Lane in the right hand lane to take the third turning to Walkley, threatening to broadside anyone who's started out in the middle lane to go towards Walkley. The road markings do make it clear which lane you need to be in.

Worse are those coming up Broad Lane in the right hand lane to take the third turning to Walkley, threatening to broadside anyone who's started out in the middle lane to go towards Walkley. The road markings do make it clear which lane you need to be in.

The problem with taking the correct lane there is that you can get stuck in the tailback from the A57 and if you try to overtake the stationary traffic you risk being hit by traffic in the inner lane. It is often quicker and safer to take the right-hand lane from Broad Lane and go right round the roundabout before spiraling off to Walkley, signaling clearly as you proceed...

I thought it was better before they restricted the right-hand lane to Netherthorpe Road - it feels more like a right turn than straight on.

respect to you for asking for advice when I was learning to drive roundabouts scared me to death and the Brownsville one is so confusing if you don't know it not to .mention the drivers who just make their own lane!

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 23:15 ----------

I have no idea why Brownsville came up in that post!

Some of the confusion is due to the contradiction between the direction arrows (left arrow means left/1st exit only) and the actual lane markings (left lane allows for 1st or 2nd exit). I think the lane markings are correct and I'd consider the left hand lane 1st or 2nd exit (into left hand lane) and the middle lane 2nd (into right hand lane) or 3rd exit.

Amanda - you should not be setting off until the cars on the roundabout have passed, you're supposed to give way to traffic from the right at roundabouts regardless of where you think they will exit.

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 19:00 ----------

As a regular Sheffield driver the roundabout is definitely one of the more dangerous junctions, and placing pedestrian crossings to force traffic to queue back up on the roundabout certainly doesn't help (but sums up our council road planners quite well).

Thanks so much, this is where I have been going wrong! I never wair for traffic from the right to pass! :huh:

Just drive as though there is only you on the road most people do.

I often go round this roundabout coming off at the exit that leads up Western Bank. I tend to be in the right hand lane as I come off as that's the one I need further up, but I never know whether to indicate left as I'm coming off or not. On the one hand, indicating left would tell other drivers that I was leaving the roundabout, but on the other hand it could be interpreted as me wanting to move into the left hand lane (from the right hand lane that I intend to stay in). Currently I tend to just do a quick indication.

I often go round this roundabout coming off at the exit that leads up Western Bank. I tend to be in the right hand lane as I come off as that's the one I need further up, but I never know whether to indicate left as I'm coming off or not. On the one hand, indicating left would tell other drivers that I was leaving the roundabout, but on the other hand it could be interpreted as me wanting to move into the left hand lane (from the right hand lane that I intend to stay in). Currently I tend to just do a quick indication.

:confused:

Sounds like you need a hand? :clap: