Hoskins chip shop shiregreen

That last message was from me and not Phil Murray who hadn't logged out!

Is this the wall you remember, my dad Brian is the bloke leaning on it.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/valsean/img183.jpg

My mum Rita having a break from frying.

img006Correction.jpg

Royce and Heather Hoskings, the last owners.

img133-2.jpg

Hope this brings back happy memories for you. :) :)

Edited by shaunfl

Cobs of bread, chips, vinegar and salt, fried fish, cigarettes, leaning on walls !!! Omigawd ! It 's a good job the Health & Safety Fascists weren 't poking their long noses into everything in those days.

I just wonder how we all survived without their help and advice ?

Have looked at the photo and think more pictures had been added by then because the food was even cheaper in my day, but I can picture who would have been your mum and dad very well in my mind's eye.

Have looked at the other photos now and it does bring back memories of a happy childhood in ShireGreen. Thanks

any one remember a girl clled Sheila forgot her second name she would be about 80 now . lived around shiregreen hotel pub aera.

---------- Post added 26-06-2013 at 19:09 ----------

any one remember a girl clled Sheila forgot her second name she would be about 80 now . lived around shiregreen hotel pub aera. 40s 50s

Hiya Eightlegger, the man you recall was my uncle, Royce Hoskings, not quite as heavy as you think but a great bloke. PM me an email address and I will send you a photo of him in that uniform. :)

His dads name was Edwin, I think that this is where the "ERIC" bit come from.

Thats right it was Royce or Roy as I called him...My mistake...Eric Hoskins was the famous birdlife photographer

---------- Post added 21-10-2017 at 18:02 ----------

any one remember a girl clled Sheila forgot her second name she would be about 80 now . lived around shiregreen hotel pub aera.

---------- Post added 26-06-2013 at 19:09 ----------

any one remember a girl clled Sheila forgot her second name she would be about 80 now . lived around shiregreen hotel pub aera. 40s 50s

That must be my sister Sheila Timms She's was 80 this year....She now lives in Chapletown now Mrs Sheila Mansfield.

---------- Post added 21-10-2017 at 18:09 ----------

Hi,TIMBUCK i am new to the forum, so im going back a few years regarding HOSKINS chip shop. We lived at 308 BELLHOUSE, SAME SIDE AS THE CHIPSHOP,FIRST HOUSE THE OTHER SIDE OF SHIREGREEN LANE,next to MRS.HARDWICKS, ladies and childrens clothes.there were four shops there.next to the horseshoe, there was a brick built air raid shelter and a huge in ground water tank.the day the war ended we had a big bonfire beside the shelter.HOSKINS SON (ERIC) I THINK?,came over and shouted you need more firewood, and promtly grabbed hold of the wooden railings around the water tank, ripped them out and threw them on the bonfire, to everyones cheering.he was in his navy uniform and must have weighed around 16 to 18 stones. happy memories, eightlegger.p s i was nine years old at the time

Yes I know that area well I was about 5 then my best pals were Roger Ives and Freddy Bennet who lived in a cottage with a stone floor at the side of the Horseshoe..We used to catch minnows and frogs in the water tank...and I remember whatching the demolition of it and the air raid shelter by a big crane with a huge steel ball.

Hi timbuck, nice to see you posting again. hope you are well.

In the 40's I lived on Hatfield House lane, in 47/8 moved to Parson Cross. Rita used to be my girl friend. Our rendez-vous was the Capital cinema. I am now 85 but some memories are razor sharp.

I was born in 1947 and I can remember a chippy being there . We used to go there as a family and take them across road to horseshoe and sit in the back yard and eat them . It was a favourite pub for my mum and dad because of the back yard. Can anyone remember a family called Carr they lived on bellhouse rd opposite side to WMC .

---------- Post added 27-10-2017 at 18:38 ----------

It would be around 1963 that I new the Carr family on Bellhouse road.

The council house we occupied on Shirehall Rd had a bath upstairs & toilet downstairs opposite the coal hole off the kitchen. I think most of the council houses in Shiregreen & Parson Cross had similar arrangements. I assume this is not the case today, how were they altered?

Does anyone remember Arthur Whyte, landlord of the Horseshoe in the 1960s? 

1 hour ago, GOLDEN OLDIE said:

Does anyone remember Arthur Whyte, landlord of the Horseshoe in the 1960s? 

I used to work with his son Ian.