[OLD] Microsoft Windows 10 Thread (pre-release)

This only applies to the Full Retail Versions Of Windows 7

It does not apply to OEM Versions

There has been doubts about your rights of being able to switch (not add) your operating system to another computer after installing free Windows 10

Clicking on the link below will probably answer any questions you have

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/my-present-full-version-windows-7-installation/ebb5e2b5-da9b-4217-b2be-7f4ceeefb2e8?msgId=8f3c24c1-8f97-49ff-b7bb-1c3b389d33aa

Glad this has been confirmed. I will feel much more comfortable upgrading now.

It also confirms that I DO need to install my spare Windows 8 retail edition on a random PC and upgrade it to 10. That way, if/when I actually need it I will have a spare 10 edition available.

Go with the windows 10 update…. Can anyone tell me why I should not?

Can anyone understand what this actually means?

Windows Insiders running the Windows 10 Insider Preview (Home and Pro editions) with their registered MSA connected to their PC will receive the final release build of Windows 10 starting on July 29th. This will come as just another flight.

I’ve gotten a lot of questions from Windows Insiders about how this will work if they clean installed from ISO. As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the MSA you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build. Once you have successfully installed this build, you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh.

It’s important to note that only people running Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 can upgrade to Windows 10 as part of the free upgrade offer.*

This has left me confused, as the first part suggests that anyone running the preview will be upgraded to retail. Then they go on to say only 7/8.1 customers get a free upgrade.

Does this mean as long as you continue to opt-in to the preview programme you will effectively have Windows 10 for free?

What happens if you then opt-out after receiving the retail update, will it expire as you are no longer eligible? You'd think so.

I don't think its very clear.

Edited by AlexAtkin

If you get the opportunity to have windows ten take it. I could go on and on why you should . Just do it.

Please "go on and on" and say why we should upgrade. Right now I can't see the point. My Windows 7 laptop is working very well indeed and the old saying 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' springs to mind.

Well if anyone is thinking of dual booting with GNU/Linux (but I will need to try this with a different distro to MakuluLinux) it protects itself. As for insider bit updating this will possibly happen automatically - I downloaded the last iteration but could not be bothered to install it - didn't have to - received messages to reboot to install Windows - and it did just that and all apps were still in place!;)

I am curious to know if M$ may intend to bring forward termination of support for Windows 7 or certain versions of it - then start charging rental for 10 like Office 365! :hihi:

Well if anyone is thinking of dual booting with GNU/Linux (but I will need to try this with a different distro to MakuluLinux) it protects itself. As for insider bit updating this will possibly happen automatically - I downloaded the last iteration but could not be bothered to install it - didn't have to - received messages to reboot to install Windows - and it did just that and all apps were still in place!;)

I am curious to know if M$ may intend to bring forward termination of support for Windows 7 or certain versions of it - then start charging rental for 10 like Office 365! :hihi:

How can they charge for an operating system that's already installed on everyone's machine?....Unless maybe it's hidden somewhere in the license agreement that nobody reads....:suspect:

Which basically means the procedure I wrote in post #54 will not work.

Oh well, I just hope M$ maintain the slow ring of the Insider Program.