[OLD] Microsoft Windows 10 Thread (pre-release)

I assume its the same as Windows 8 where you use your Microsoft account login?

It stops me being as lazy with passwords, as I always used a very short simple one for Windows login.

I'm just wondering if the new Windows 10 (yes I've got the little icon on the taskbar urging me to register for the 'upgrade) is going to be compatible with other stuff....For instance it witters on about a new browser....I use Chrome exclusively....Is that going to work?

I use firefox too occasionally...Will that work?...Cos quite frankly, i can't see Microsoft catering for alternative browsers....Will we have to suffer 'Bing' being the default search engine? (Yes I know that can be changed....I think...But who knows on a new operating system)

Are we 'Joe Public' being used as Beta testers? Is it best to wait for a while until all the bugs and patches have been sorted. Or by that time, is the 'free offer' going to end?

Win 10 has run everything I've tried so far, inc old ass hardware that doesn't see much in the way of driver releases.

Worrying about Chrome/Firefox not working is just stupid, simply put it's the same code that's grown from 7 to 8 to 10, yes there's some changes and the odd thing will need an update (gpu drivers for example) but otherwise it's what you are used to with a new look, and nothing to be worried about.

'Joe public' is already being used, the beta program, and it's as stable as it needs to be and is pointless waiting a few months to see, otherwise you would still be running Win XP...

Two iterations previous to the one I am currently using, Microsoft 'blocked' my installation of Comodo Internet Security - whether that would happen in the final release I don't know - let's hope MSE is not the only AV/Anti-Spyware of choice! :mad:

Never had an issue installing my choice of virus software, saying that I wouldn't recommend Comodo anyway and I expect it failed due to one of its components.

It's not an upgrade though - it's a new product. If it was just an upgrade like a service pack that would be fine.

Mac have been doing it for years.

Define the difference between an upgrade and a new product?

If its backwards compatible with your existing software, its an upgrade IMO. .

Windows 7 is just an upgrade of MSDOS then?

---------- Post added 03-06-2015 at 14:13 ----------

Mac have been doing it for years.

And I don't buy them either, especially since they used to lock you into teh hardware as well...

It doesn't matter what it's an upgrade of. It's not a separate product being bundled with the OS in order to unfairly exclude the competition.

---------- Post added 03-06-2015 at 15:11 ----------

I'm just wondering if the new Windows 10 (yes I've got the little icon on the taskbar urging me to register for the 'upgrade) is going to be compatible with other stuff....For instance it witters on about a new browser....I use Chrome exclusively....Is that going to work?

I use firefox too occasionally...Will that work?...Cos quite frankly, i can't see Microsoft catering for alternative browsers....Will we have to suffer 'Bing' being the default search engine? (Yes I know that can be changed....I think...But who knows on a new operating system)

They had to pay a huge anti-trust settlement for forcing people to use IE years ago, they are definitely not going to open that can of worms again.

Windows 7 is just an upgrade of MSDOS then?

Windows hasn't been using MS-DOS as a base since WinME, so no.

That's why there were so many compatibility issues in Windows XP at first, it was based on businesses Windows (NT kernel) and 95/98/ME were indeed based on legacy Windows sat on MS-DOS (as they needed to be backwards compatible with MS-DOS based games at the time).

Windows Vista,7,8,10 are all based on the NT kernel. (although it has changed a fair bit as I understand) That's why 10 can be done as an upgrade, because it IS an upgrade and they know its compatible with 99% of software that runs on those OS versions. The only issue comes with drivers because that is a part of the OS that has changed a lot, to improve efficiency and stability.

That's pretty much the same with ANY OS, the kernel/driver integration is always the most tricky and most in flux. Linux being the most obvious as if you ever have to compile drivers not included with the kernel, often its tricky finding ones that work with the exactly kernel version you are running.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Windows hasn't been using MS-DOS as a base since WinME, so no.

I know.

But I can run my old msdos programs on Win 7 - so by logic above win 7 is just an upgrade...

I know.

But I can run my old msdos programs on Win 7 - so by logic above win 7 is just an upgrade...

I can run PS2 games on my PC, doesn't make it just an upgrade of the PSOne!

I know.

I meant backwards compatible with WINDOWS software, which I would think obvious seeing as we are talking about Windows.

I'm not aware of anything significant DOS based that will run on Win 7 without emulation.