[OLD] Microsoft Windows 10 Thread (pre-release)

I meant backwards compatible with WINDOWS software, which I would think obvious seeing as we are talking about Windows.

I'm not aware of anything significant DOS based that will run on Win 7 without emulation.

Then you should have said.

However I can run 16 bit windows 3.1 stuff on modern win 7 - again does that make it just an upgrade?

Of course not.

I installed Windows10 last year to replace OS and re invigore a rather old PC desktop.

Good:

Speed is incredible compared to 7 and 8.1

All the software I use works-apparently Spore does not.

Much more usable than 8.1 for a desktop.

Use Classic Start

Bad:

As it is currently in Beta there have been occaisions when it has upgraded without asking.

After upgrades I have to re install a lot of software

Log on is via Windows ID

Tries to default to a simpler version of internet explorer- have to change defaults.

Overall:

If you want it to look like 7 or 8.1 you can. I prefer 7.

Brought new life to an old machine.

Tries to default to a simpler version of internet explorer- have to change defaults.

No, it defaults to the Spartan browser, the latest much better than IE version of IE.

Microsoft Edge (project spartan) does replace IE but in the version I have not yet found any advantages over IE.

I put it down as "Bad" as I do not find it suitable for my needs-yet.

It is invasive and keeps resetting default programmes.

Wikki describes it as " a lightweight web browser "

I will be using IE11.

Microsoft Edge (project spartan) does replace IE but in the version I have not yet found any advantages over IE.

I put it down as "Bad" as I do not find it suitable for my needs-yet.

It is invasive and keeps resetting default programmes.

Wikki describes it as " a lightweight web browser "

I will be using IE11.

Yes, as it dumps the legacy code needed to keep old websites working, this matters for corporate users more than general end users, so you just make matters worse by clinging onto a browser that is bad for the internet.

Then you should have said.

However I can run 16 bit windows 3.1 stuff on modern win 7 - again does that make it just an upgrade?

Of course not.

iOS, Android, MacOS, Linux, ALL use major version numbers periodically to signify that a lot has changed, but they are STILL considered upgrades.

I'm genuinely confused what you think the difference between an upgrade and a new OS is?

Just because the UI has changed, doesn't make it any more or less an upgrade. Its a derivative of what went before, based on it and designed to improve upon while maintaining compatibility.

Now from Microsofts point of view they might not consider it an upgrade if they scrapped the code base and started from scratch again (kinda what happened between 3.1 and 95, ME and XP), but that is of no real interest to the end-user as long as everything works. Also, going from Windows 7 to 10 is NOT that kind of difference except when it comes to the UI.

Does it have a learning curve due to UI changes? Definitely. But that doesn't mean its a different OS. Heck, my SkyHD box has completely changed its UI since I have had it, its still a SkyHD box.

Edited by AlexAtkin

iOS, Android, MacOS, Linux, ALL use major version numbers periodically to signify that a lot has changed, but they are STILL considered upgrades.

I'm genuinely confused what you think the difference between an upgrade and a new OS is?

Because they were being pedantic to win an argument that they had in reality lost.

Anyone going to take the free windows 10 update?

---------- Post added 04-06-2015 at 00:07 ----------

If you like the idea of the best of windows 7 and 8 mix go for it. You are under no obligation to download it. Signup then decide when you get more information.

Edited by billybob313

My problem is this

I have the "full retail version" of Windows 7 Home installation DVDs (32 and 64 bit) . Unlike most Windows operating systems that can not be use again if your computer dies on you these "full retail versions" can be use on another computer if it dies on you.

It looks to me that if I change to Windows 10 I will loose this ability to use the "full retail version" of Windows 7 installation DVDs again.

I dont do anything fancy on my computer and other than storage it is 99% internet use. As a guide I only use 29gb of my 500GB HD

At present if my 5 year old computer dies on me I have a Windows 7 operating system I can use again on another computer so will it make much difference if I decide against Windows 10 and stick with Windows 7 after all it will still get security updates till 2020

Your views would be appreciated

Thanks

My problem is this

I have the "full retail version" of Windows 7 Home installation DVDs (32 and 64 bit) . Unlike most Windows operating systems that can not be use again if your computer dies on you these "full retail versions" can be use on another computer if it dies on you.

It looks to me that if I change to Windows 10 I will loose this ability to use the "full retail version" of Windows 7 installation DVDs again.

I dont do anything fancy on my computer and other than storage it is 99% internet use. As a guide I only use 29gb of my 500GB HD

At present if my 5 year old computer dies on me I have a Windows 7 operating system I can use again on another computer so will it make much difference if I decide against Windows 10 and stick with Windows 7 after all it will still get security updates till 2020

Thanks

Good point.

I can't answer your question but the way it's worded from Microsoft is that the Win 7 key would be retired, or at least that's how I read it. I see no reason why MS couldn't log the serial number so no further Windows 10 upgrades can be used against the key but still allow you to use the key on another PC if you wished. We are talking Microsoft here so what's right and wrong is always a very one sided argument... their way!

My problem is this

Thanks

This is my dilemma too. I have two computers, both W7, and both with the full retail disks.

In fact the hard drive was replaced on my laptop just last week, and W7 was installed on the new drive from the disk with no issues, good to go.

I too wonder if I am going to relegate myself to an effective OEM W10 operating system, in which case I would prefer to remain as a retail W7 customer.

I'm also quite happily using Office 2007, and wonder if this will work in W10.