[OLD] Microsoft Windows 10 Thread (pre-release)

Windows 10 64bit is about 3GB download and requires 16GB of free hard drive space.

The pop-up window will show at frequent intervals until you decide it you accept the upgrade offer.

Best to install the preview version and give it a go. Doing the upgrade through Windows Update via Windows Insider you can always remove Windows 10 and revert back to your previous operating system.

For me, I found Windows 10 sluggish compared to Windows 8.1...

Which is extremely misleading if it is, and also a nightmare as I only have 4GB on my tablet as its only got 32GB total.

The tablet version won't be 3GB.

Windows 10 64bit is about 3GB download and requires 16GB of free hard drive space.

The pop-up window will show at frequent intervals until you decide it you accept the upgrade offer.

Best to install the preview version and give it a go. Doing the upgrade through Windows Update via Windows Insider you can always remove Windows 10 and revert back to your previous operating system.

For me, I found Windows 10 sluggish compared to Windows 8.1...

I doubt very much the upgrade will need 16GB of space, a fresh install, sure.

As for sluggish, the preview WILL be sluggish, it has a ton of debugging stuff turned on and will be logging EVERYTHING. That means major disk IO that the retail release will not have. Its not remotely representative, it was intended for people to discuss the changes they like/dislike so they could use feedback to decide how to shape the OS.

The tablet version won't be 3GB.

Its full Windows 8.1 Pro, I don't see how it would be any different in size.

Edited by AlexAtkin

I have the full version of Windows 8.1 Pro on my Dell tablet and as far as I can make out windows 10 will just replace it as it won't be a clean install so it will take up roughly the same amount of space on the hard drive.

Because people will assume it's just an update and apply it and end up with an OS that they dont want.

It's also rather anti competitive and got MS in trouble with the EU when they tried the same thing with web browsers.

It's really very different to bundling IE with windows and tying it tightly into the OS. Offering someone a free upgrade to a product they already have is in no way anti-competitive.

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 09:14 ----------

Which is extremely misleading if it is, and also a nightmare as I only have 4GB on my tablet as its only got 32GB total.

You got the option on a tablet? Running surface I guess? It won't be the same install as the full desktop client presumably.

Some of these tablets run the full version of Windows 8.1 and include Office.

It's really very different to bundling IE with windows and tying it tightly into the OS. Offering someone a free upgrade to a product they already have is in no way anti-competitive.

It's not an upgrade though - it's a new product. If it was just an upgrade like a service pack that would be fine.

It's still nothing like bundling another product and tightly coupling it to the OS.

It's not an upgrade though - it's a new product. If it was just an upgrade like a service pack that would be fine.

Define the difference between an upgrade and a new product?

If its backwards compatible with your existing software, its an upgrade IMO.

This is no different to updating your phone to the latest firmware, do you consider THAT a completely different product?

Now if it was completely incompatible with everything, that's a different matter.

A more valid argument would be that it makes some sweeping changes to the UI that people might have difficulty with, which is fair enough. But that doesn't make it any less an upgrade and arguably its not a good excuse for holding back either.

A friend of mine who is an ex IBM systems boffin has been running the beta version of windows 10 and he is happy with it, he told me a month ago that it would be distributed free.

Can I just say for those people who are itching to upgrade, first make a backup image and recovery DVD/USB

of your system before you upgrade. Just in-case your upgrade doesn't go well.

There are bound to be failures. If your system is one of the failures you should be able to get back to a working system.

Better still wait about 6 weeks before applying the upgrade.

I have not had any popups occur on any of the rigs in use here. What I did discover is that if you want to obtain Windows 10 for free in the first year of release you have to submit your email address to them (discovered when hunting for the latest iteration of the preview). Great advice from Mikes10 prior to undertaking any OS install - backup everything and if you have the capacity to create a backup image all the better such as Windows built-in backup facilities or a great cross-platform image creation tool that is free:

http://redobackup.org/

One thing I found it has in common with GNU/Linux it cannot pickup Netgear WG111v3 dongle - had to use powerline adapters to be able to download the 1.5 US driver. Had some issues with Sound too (but it did get sorted after manually tweaking to tell Windows 10 preview that the prime source was the onboard sound and not the HDMI on the nVidia 620 GT Graphics Card! :D

Has been a tad annoying (or my MB is faiing) in that the option of the BIOS key of F8 to boot from any device has been overridden occasionally - the other annoyance is Microsoft requesting that I verify it is me who is logging in (but guess this will not occur if you don't sign in to your computer using g a microsoft account - but may well be needed to access the 'Store' - even free stuff! :D