[OLD] Microsoft Windows 10 Thread (pre-release)

It is a Windows update. Just delete this update KB 3035583 if you do not want this adware on your PC

More information here

Given that it's allowing you to register for a free upgrade to win 10, which you can just ignore I can't see what the problem is.

Because people will assume it's just an update and apply it and end up with an OS that they dont want.

It's also rather anti competitive and got MS in trouble with the EU when they tried the same thing with web browsers.

But it kinda IS just an update and that is EXACTLY what Microsoft need people to do.

If they just remain silent about it, most people won't even know its available as an update.

Its also nothing like the browser thing. The EU were annoyed that Microsoft were pre-installing IE on Windows without giving people a choice in browser, as all browsers interpret the same web so using a different one is genuinely a choice people can make without breaking compatibility.

That is not remotely similar to encouraging people to upgrade to the latest version of the OS they already have installed on their PC. Its not like the EU could demand Microsoft give people an options screen to choose Linux instead, breaking compatibility with everything they already have installed.

Edited by AlexAtkin

I've just had a pop up come up on my computer offering free upgrade to Windows 10. Is this a worthwhile thing or is all my hardware going to refuse to co-operate?

I just updated my two PCs and all I see is the icon in the system tray which I had to click on to get the screen to opt-in.

Does it pop open on its own after a while if you do not do it manually? Because if it doesn't, people STILL won't notice.

I'm also pondering the "requires 3GB". Is that 3GB to download or 3GB to download and install?

I saw this on a friend's computer today. It seemed to be just an invitation to register interest. It is a big download of about 3GB and if I read it correctly it is placed on the desktop for installation at the convenience of the user. However, the release date is said to be July 29th 2015 so there is no rush.

We run Windows 7 so I checked it out with a computer professional today and was told to go for the free upgrade. It should be more secure so worth having for that.

There may be an upgrade advisor that can be run to check whether your computer will run it. You wilł need to do a search for it.

Edited by Jomie

I am sure that it is 3gb to download where after you will be given the option to install it.

Which is extremely misleading if it is, and also a nightmare as I only have 4GB on my tablet as its only got 32GB total.