Which DSLR for £300?

Thanks. Nothing there for me right now but i'll keep checking.

I think i'll be trying the 50mm f/1.8 prime first. At just over £100 it'd be rude not to. But firstly i have a week in Scotland. It's a pity i'll only have the kit lens but i'll mostly be learning about this little beast anyway.

50mm is a good place to start, you'll not use the kit lens after you buy it

I think i'll be trying the 50mm f/1.8 prime first. At just over £100 it'd be rude not to. But firstly i have a week in Scotland. It's a pity i'll only have the kit lens but i'll mostly be learning about this little beast anyway.

I found the 50 a bit too long for my tastes on the crop sensor body, it will be more like an 80mm on that crop sensor and that will be very long if you plan on doing any close up stuff in rooms for example, I kept it but bought a 35mm instead, the 50 however will be a better walkaround lens.

---------- Post added 18-06-2015 at 20:35 ----------

Not sure of the best place to buy that from. There's plenty of cheap ones on ebay but those don't have AF. I also want a 70-200 as i think this will be my main usage. Any ideas of a good one? Preferably not at £800 ;)

Why not go that bit longer and get the Tamron SP 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di VC USD Lens, £250 or thereabouts and it has built in vibration control which you will need with long lenses and at that price point there is nothing that can touch it.

Why not go that bit longer and get the Tamron SP 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di VC USD Lens, £250 or thereabouts and it has built in vibration control which you will need with long lenses and at that price point there is nothing that can touch it.

I agree the Tamron is a great lens and because it's an FX lens you can keep it if you decide to go to a full frame sensor at a later date. ;)

My husband bought a Sigma 70-300mm at the airport last year for about £90. Super lens: images comparable to the ones I get with my Nikon.

My husband bought a Sigma 70-300mm at the airport last year for about £90. Super lens: images comparable to the ones I get with my Nikon.

I had this lens It's not bad but no I.S. I ended up trading it in to partly fund the above mentioned Tamron SP 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di VC USD this is a great lens for the money.

Just back from bonnie wee Scotland. Have to say, i'm loving the D3300 so far. I was already starting to think a 50mm could be the wrong choice. Now the 70-300 one has been thrown into the mix i'm starting to think a 35mm prime and the 70-300 might be the way to go. A quick google has the tele lens at £199 so can hopefully get one in a few weeks.

Really appreciate the info peeps

Just back from bonnie wee Scotland. Have to say, i'm loving the D3300 so far. I was already starting to think a 50mm could be the wrong choice. Now the 70-300 one has been thrown into the mix i'm starting to think a 35mm prime and the 70-300 might be the way to go. A quick google has the tele lens at £199 so can hopefully get one in a few weeks.

Really appreciate the info peeps

Have you got the right lens as it's still £235 on amazon and £250 at jessops. it is the sp version comes with a five year tamron warranty.

I also I use a sigma 30m f1.4 art It's a lovely solid built lens that equals to about 45mm on a crop sensor, A 50mm lens on a crop works out about 75mm.

Christopher Frost on youtube does great reviews on these lenses and many more.

An easy way to work out what a lens will be roughly equivalent to on a apsc crop sensor is take the focal length and half it so say 50mm halved is 25 then add the original length back on, So 50mm halved is 25 then add 50 = 75mm.

Edited by jrowl

I had this lens It's not bad but no I.S. I ended up trading it in to partly fund the above mentioned Tamron SP 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di VC USD this is a great lens for the money.

I px-ed my Tamron 18-280 for my Nikon 70-300. It was a great travel lens (I went on a safari) but many of the images were ever so slightly soft.