Parliamentary electoral boundary changes. What could it mean for the

But communities do have a personality and wether we like it or not that is sometimes a reflection of their commonly held views and therefore not a million miles from politics.

I realise that gerrymandering is possible and to be avoided. But to take it to the other extreme we would just impose a first past the post narrow win in every constituency for who ever gets the most votes nationally. I realise that is rediculous but lumping together totally unrelated areas negates any feeling of unity for the constituency. What has urban mulitcultural Crookes got to do with the rural farmers and locals of Penistone.

I'm not disagreeing with you just reflecting. Thanks for your information.

Fair enough. Although what constituency is Bradfield in. Hallam? You can argue that area (the "Rural area" of Sheffield) is utterly different to the rest of the current constituency. Just how it goes.

An Mp has to serve all of his/her constituents equally, no matter who they voted for or their issues.

I was reading a report by John Curtice in the Guardian. His analysis of the election was that Labour had lost votes and seats to the SNP whilst the Tories had taken seats off the Libdems. It would now take a swing of 12.5 points from the Tories to Labour for Labour to win a majority in future. This before the boundary changes are implemented.

The proposed boundary changes are going to be interesting. I hear some Labour MPs are already having a hissy fit regarding them. I suppose they are not looking forward to the equalisation of constituencies the inherent improvement in fairness and getting rid of the bias that has favoured Labour for many many years.

The proposed boundary changes are going to be interesting. I hear some Labour MPs are already having a hissy fit regarding them. I suppose they are not looking forward to the equalisation of constituencies the inherent improvement in fairness and getting rid of the bias that has favoured Labour for many many years.

I would imagine their biggest headache is that it puts them in line for reselection. Over 170 voted no confidence in their leader so we can look forward to open civil war for the next 4 years.

Looking at electoralcalculus the current state of the parties

CON 331,

LAB 232,

LIB 9,

UKIP 1,

Green 1,

SNP 55

Plaid 3

NI 18

they predict a reduction to 600 mps would produce this

CON 328

Lab 198

Lib 3

UKIP 1

Green 1

SNP 50

plaid 3

NI 16

Just to make matters worse the polls predict that the tories would take 43 seats from labour. the libs and snp one seat each from labour. presumably leaving labour with between 150 and 160 mps

There are going to be a lot of labour mps arguing over not many seats in 2020

Edited by pacifica

I would imagine their biggest headache is that it puts them in line for reselection. Over 170 voted no confidence in their leader so we can look forward to open civil war for the next 4 years.

I suppose the leader will still be there, even though his constituency is going. :hihi:

I suppose the leader will still be there, even though his constituency is going. :hihi:

Im sure the tories will hope so. their biggest danger would be that common sense prevails and the labour party stick him in an unwinnable seat in order to save the party. but common sense doesn't seem big on labours policies.

He will still be there I imagine yes. Labour rules are that a new seat has to have an all female shortlist, which would prevent Corbyn from standing for it. However, rules also states that if 40% or more of the old MPs constituency is part of the new one, they have an automatic right to stand for reelection.

As others have said, this is good news for the Conservatives.

He will still be there I imagine yes. Labour rules are that a new seat has to have an all female shortlist, which would prevent Corbyn from standing for it. However, rules also states that if 40% or more of the old MPs constituency is part of the new one, they have an automatic right to stand for reelection.

As others have said, this is good news for the Conservatives.

I heard yesterday (on the BBC) that his was less than 40%. I also heard the same about the all female shortlist.

I think my post #21 didn't get the recognition it deserved. Even if I say so myself its comedy gold!

So having a look at the new constituencies.... Sheffield Central and West.

Looks like a peanut. It also excludes for some bizarre reason the student village. That bunch of lefties gets lumped in with Hallam and Dore so they can be safely drowned out in the blue and yellow clamour.

Just what do the students have in common with a constituency that goes to Wakefield and all the way to Dore? Beats me. But their vote wont count any more it'll be safely blue or yellow...

Meanwhile the Sheffield West and Central, removed and purged of the red elements can now get on with the task of returning a non labour MP I suspect.

The whole thing looks a little Gerrymandered to me...

So having a look at the new constituencies.... Sheffield Central and West.

Looks like a peanut. It also excludes for some bizarre reason the student village. That bunch of lefties gets lumped in with Hallam and Dore so they can be safely drowned out in the blue and yellow clamour.

Just what do the students have in common with a constituency that goes to Wakefield and all the way to Dore? Beats me. But their vote wont count any more it'll be safely blue or yellow...

Meanwhile the Sheffield West and Central, removed and purged of the red elements can now get on with the task of returning a non labour MP I suspect.

The whole thing looks a little Gerrymandered to me...

The whole student issue would revolve around where they are registered to vote. As a student I and many others remained on the electoral roll of my home town.

Wouldn't Gerrymandering require a lack of independence from the boundary commission? As most of those working on the review are civil servants it is likely that many are trade union members.

Edited by pacifica

I can't imagine that any Independent Body can be truly independent and not in some way biased. Most public sector employees are naturally left wing in their outlook, it MUST cloud their judgement slightly?

It will be interesting to see the outcome of an election. People may no longer vote tactically to keep another party out, particularly in Hallam.