Watching Vulcan take off / flight times 2015

After the Lancaster, the Vulcan was the most iconic bomber we had. There is only one left. So maybe it should stay safely on the ground, and be kept in pristine condition, for all future generations to see. The sight and noise of videos can substitute !

We are down to two flying Lancasters now, so even they are being risked when airborne

It isnt the only one left there are 14 others preserved in museums iirc. XH558 based at Doncaster is the only Airworthy one left.

2 others are kept "live" and do fast taxy runs, one at Southend (XL426) and one at Wellesbourne Mountford airfield (XM655)

I'm off to Blackpool airshow on the 9th August just to see the Vulcan :)

---------- Post added 01-08-2015 at 08:58 ----------

Here is the Wellesbourne one doing its fast taxy which i filmed in June this year...she just wants to get airbourne!

---------- Post added 01-08-2015 at 09:01 ----------

For anyone going to Doncaster you wont get a take off like this but this is just what she is capable of!

Looking forward to watching the show just 5 minutes down the road in Ayr in September.

re Andyrad29reply, thank you for the update on the remaining Vulcans. What I meant was that 558 was the only one remaining in an airworthy condition. I had heard that 2 others could be started up and taxied.

I believe that the budget to maintain the three aircraft should be provided to the RAF by the government. These aircraft, along with the B52s, were the principal deterrent against a soviet nuclear threat, until Polaris. They should be preserved in perpetuity for future generations. But knowing the British government !!!???

Vulcan is displaying at Elvington this weekend. Anyone know the time of take off from Robin Hood?

Vulcan is displaying at Elvington this weekend. Anyone know the time of take off from Robin Hood?

Approximately 1:50pm, dependent on weather etc.

Your best bet is to keep checking Twitter on the day: https://twitter.com/xh558

Edited by Angus Prune

As far as I can tell, the Vulcan bomber is taking off from Doncaster tomorrow to go to the Southport Air Show for a 2pm showing. Since it's one of the last times the Vulcan will be taking off I'd love to see it in action - does anyone know when it will likely take off from Robin Hood airport for this?

Suggest you have a look at the southportvisiter.co.uk website which will be publishing the Southport detailed timing; currently says 2-35p.m.

Her last flying days are on 10th and 11th October when she will do close sorties north and south of the country so as many people as possible have the opportunity to see her flying one final time.

I think if you go onto the Robin Hood Airport website it gives you the take off times.

I'm lucky enough to live near the airport and often see her going over my house. I will really miss the sound she makes, sends a shiver down the spine.

The following was on the Vulcan XH558 website today.

"The roads, villages and availability of parking around the perimeter of Robin Hood airport are very restricted. As the final few flights approach, we must warn you that the chances of seeing XH558 take-off and land will be slim. There are no plans for any displays or repeated circuits over the airfield and the aircraft will come straight-in to land on her return.

We wish to bring the aircraft to you – as much as possible, so please plan to go to one of the published locations on the final tour when they are announced, or one of the existing display venues, rather than come to Robin Hood.

As the last few flight dates approach, spectator interest around the airport at Doncaster is reaching new heights, with huge numbers already being seen on surrounding roads. The police and emergency services, local authority and the airport are very much aware of growing issues. There is great risk of severe restrictions being imposed on our last few days of flight operations. We do need to minimise the risk of enforced flight cancellations on the grounds of public safety.

We would request all our supporters try to view XH558 from another vantage point along a notified flight-path or display venue.

PLEASE DO NOT TRAVEL TO DONCASTER.

* Failure to act on this warning may severely restrict what future flight days we are able to plan after the farewell tour – meaning everyone will lose the sight of XH558 being airborne that much earlier *

We would all obviously appreciate your co-operation on this matter. Thank you.

Well that was disappointing, just took my son up to Chapeltown and stood under the planned flight path, only to watch in dismay (using live flight data app on phone) that it took a detour down to Chesterfield instead :(