The Plough-sandygate

Pubcos generally ruining pubs all over the country doesn't help. If services/products decline in quality then less people use them, so you can say there is less demand for them - like the railways were run down many years ago.

For the average punter today, sadly the choice is often either (a) risk 4 quid on a pint in a pub which might not be that great, or (b) buy cans/bottles in a shop which you know you like and sit at home in front of the TV. The pub experience has got to be worth the effort and entrance fee (price of drinks/food). Often it isn't.

If the Plough reopens presumably it'll be independent and hence may have a better chance of being a decent pub which is worth repeated visits and makes money.

I had a quick look around the outside recently and I cant see any obvious signs of vandalism, unless someone has broken in and trashed the interior? Might be worth a look over though, but can't see it listed on Crosthwaite commercial site at present

The current owners ripped out the lovely old marble fireplaces, I assume because they thought that they were going to knock the building down.

Saying it is "vandalism" is correct, but in this case, self inflicted!:hihi:

---------- Post added 12-09-2018 at 17:29 ----------

Pubcos generally ruining pubs all over the country doesn't help. If services/products decline in quality then less people use them, so you can say there is less demand for them - like the railways were run down many years ago.

For the average punter today, sadly the choice is often either (a) risk 4 quid on a pint in a pub which might not be that great, or (b) buy cans/bottles in a shop which you know you like and sit at home in front of the TV. The pub experience has got to be worth the effort and entrance fee (price of drinks/food). Often it isn't.

If the Plough reopens presumably it'll be independent and hence may have a better chance of being a decent pub which is worth repeated visits and makes money.

It will be independent, a "free house" as we used to call them, if the deal on the table goes through.

I don't think I've known an area so in need of a decent pub. If done properly, this could be an absolute goldmine. Demographics wise, it's Real Ale heartland round there

Edited by Dan_Ashcroft

The building is deteriorating. Rotten window frames and broken windows letting in the weather will help to speed up this process. I do hope the owner is not intentionally letting it fall into disrepair prior to demolition.

There has been no sign of any development at all. 

I'm sure soon enough somebody will have a 'careless bbq' and the place will be damaged beyond repair. 

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 07:01, Bilge said:

The building is deteriorating. Rotten window frames and broken windows letting in the weather will help to speed up this process. I do hope the owner is not intentionally letting it fall into disrepair prior to demolition.

There has been no sign of any development at all. 

Wouldn't surprise me if it accidently caught fire ….. then no option but to knock it down …… 

Edited by SpiderPete

Outrageous. We need to keep this building. Mr Spacepad should be told that in the strongest possible terms. He should then sell it to someone who can make a go of it.

Guest makapaka
22 minutes ago, Bilge said:

Outrageous. We need to keep this building. Mr Spacepad should be told that in the strongest possible terms. He should then sell it to someone who can make a go of it.

Its a shame but no one ever went in when it was open.

6 hours ago, makapaka said:

Its a shame but no one ever went in when it was open.

Because it wasn't a very good pub. If it was a place worth visiting it would be busy. But the owner has no interest in that, he's a property developer.

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, Bilge said:

Because it wasn't a very good pub. If it was a place worth visiting it would be busy. But the owner has no interest in that, he's a property developer.

It wasn’t a bad pub though.

it wasn’t a rough hole or dirty or anything like that and no one went in - hardly encouraging for a prospective pub if the locals let it shut down.

The Crosspool  Tavern isn't very good either but I hope one day it becomes a decent pub. I go in every now and then just to check if it's improved. It never has, but I don't want it turning into a block of flats or a care home.  I want it to stay as  a pub that might be some good one day. It does at least have the football on.

So should I (a) go in all the time? or (b) hardly ever go in?  How do we as consumers collectively affect the pub market? It's not in our control. We're at the mercy of pubcos and property developers. A busy pub will still turn into flats if the profit to be had dictates that.