The Plough-sandygate

Problem is a lick of paint and tidy up probably will not work and even a big investment is risky bearing in mind the amount of times its failed and the competition nearby.

Seems like it's open again with new management. Drinks are a bit pricey though I've heard, especially draft soft drinks if you want them. This pub could be a little goldmine where it is, they should follow the example of Rising Sun in Fulwood which is very popular pub, why? , fantastic beer, good food, regular variety entertainment and reasonable prices!........I'd love to have a local pub like that! ... if the new management don't get a grip it will no doubt end up as a supermarket, which is a pity.

Given they have been successful in the application to have the pub listed as a community asset, I don't think it will be a supermarket anytime soon.

Does need work to get people in though.

Seems like it's open again with new management. Drinks are a bit pricey though I've heard, especially draft soft drinks if you want them. This pub could be a little goldmine where it is, they should follow the example of Rising Sun in Fulwood which is very popular pub, why? , fantastic beer, good food, regular variety entertainment and reasonable prices!........I'd love to have a local pub like that! ... if the new management don't get a grip it will no doubt end up as a supermarket, which is a pity.

Problem is Gazzer, that the Plough have to buy their beer/drinks through Enterprise, at the minute, who put a 100% mark up on it. Next year, the law comes into effect that means that pubs are all free or tie, and can buy on the open market (like the Rising Sun), whch means that pubs like the Plough can be more competitive.

As Ade says, as it stands the locals have taken on Enterprise and Sainsburys and won, for now. Which is a start

Closed last night. Hope that was just a blip.

have to check this out......used to be a lovely place once

Still very quiet apart from Thurs and Sun for the quizzes; both good nights, rest of the time it's almost dead, sadly.

Given they have been successful in the application to have the pub listed as a community asset, I don't think it will be a supermarket anytime soon.

Does need work to get people in though.

The community asset thing will cause a delay of the inevitable but rarely amounts to the intended result. As soon as the local activists are asked to chuck some money into the purchase it all becomes very real and they retreat back into the background.

I would think needs a lot of investment a good manager and some luck to make it work.

If they just opened the doors again then I would say very little chance of success.

How many times has it opened and shut in the last few years.

Also there's hardly a shortage of good pubs not too far away.

Wish it luck though.

Guest makapaka
I would think needs a lot of investment a good manager and some luck to make it work.

If they just opened the doors again then I would say very little chance of success.

How many times has it opened and shut in the last few years.

Also there's hardly a shortage of good pubs not too far away.

Wish it luck though.

I disagree with the fact that there's a lot of other decent pubs round there. I think crosspool / lodge moor is crying out for a good drinkers pub. Maybe with some bar food.

I'd go down the rising sun at nether green route and try and get a good bar selection and maybe some live music / events on there.

There's never owt happening in there - you go in and it's got a sad feel about the place.

The community asset thing will cause a delay of the inevitable but rarely amounts to the intended result. As soon as the local activists are asked to chuck some money into the purchase it all becomes very real and they retreat back into the background.

A group of local businessmen tried to buy it some years ago but got the runaround from Enterprise, so don't be too surprised if the locals do buy it (given the chance).

Enterprise have started sending in surveyors, electrical engineers, etc., so I think they know the only option is to actually spend money on it, for once, and do the place up.

---------- Post added 26-07-2015 at 17:27 ----------

I disagree with the fact that there's a lot of other decent pubs round there. I think crosspool / lodge moor is crying out for a good drinkers pub. Maybe with some bar food.

I'd go down the rising sun at nether green route and try and get a good bar selection and maybe some live music / events on there.

There's never owt happening in there - you go in and it's got a sad feel about the place.

Three Merry Lads have good beers on but too far away from Crosspool, The Top Sportsman only have a couple of beers on (good little pub though), the bottom Sportsman (Manchester Road), good beer selection but no atmosphere, feels like a hotel bar, Crosspool Tavern is awful.

Bulls Head is good, Rising Sun is good, Ranmoor Inn is going downhill fast.

The Plough now have pub food on, they will be having live bands on, and the beer is good (usually three or four ales on), just needs a makeover.

Can you confirm that the Plough, Sandygate is still open. I am planning a trip to Sheffield to get back to my roots (family history) and the Plough is part of that history with Sam Lovell one of the landlords being my g.g.grandfather. Didn't the plough also give a start to Hallam FC by allowing the matches on the pubs field.