Bus driver wouldn't help visually impaired passenger

according to google maps it is 0.9 mile

---------- Post added 01-06-2015 at 12:07 ----------

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.406867,-1.413315,3a,75y,249.63h,90.78t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s_9m1OvMJQbD5wmTyZkEnmA!2e0

So there are 2 police stations on Attercliffe common? The only one I had seen was next to Weedon street, 0.9 miles away.

No there is police HQ off of Weedon street, and Attercliffe police station is next to the institute of sport.

Guest busdriver1
No there is police HQ off of Weedon street, and Attercliffe police station is next to the institute of sport.

There lies some of the problem, one I had noticed, one I had not. That is why I would have asked passengers to assist.

Remember, as I stated I am not from Sheffield.

Edited by busdriver1

The attitude of the driver leaves alot to be desired if the op is correct in what's been said.

all the people saying a bus driver should know every road/building etc on the route their driving really don't know what they are on about. I rarely drive the 265 at my depot (Sheffield-Barnsley ) so my knowledge of landmarks etc is sketchy to say the least. I once got asked to tell a passenger when we got to a certain place I didn't have a clue where it was, when I apologised and said I didn't know he got very aggressive saying I should know as everyone knows it who lives in Barnsley.

Why? Are people not allowed to have opinions contrary to yours?

Did he really know where it was? That's basically the question. I used to walk down Eccleshall road road every day for three years at Uni but I doubt I would have know where every road name off of it was.

There's no road signage for Coleridge road. The signs on the warehouse building are not easy to see because of the trees, and it looks like part of the retail park to be honest.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3996,-1.42501,3a,75y,184.16h,79.37t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sORW8sV153ZIwJD_o2pQhgw!2e0!6m1!1e1

Is a bus driver really expected to do the Knowledge for Sheffield..?

If he did know though then it's unreasonable for him not to assist the part sighted passenger, if only by shouting out when you've got to your destination. I've never met a bus driver yet that wouldnt help in such a manner.

Or have known that it was Ecclesall not Eccleshall Road??!

---------- Post added 01-06-2015 at 14:19 ----------

Regardless of whether he knew where the place was or not, if he is told it is on this route, he should have used his radio and found out where it was from the control desk. Either that or shouted to the other passengers to see if anyone knew...or got out his mobile and googled it - lets face it, he couldnt be bothered as per most of the drivers in Sheffield - god forbid they miss there 5 minute fag break at the terminus!

Which one? There are two bus drivers that have failed in this thread :D

The incident starter! I'm from Scotland and even I know where the EIS is....:huh:

Or have known that it was Ecclesall not Eccleshall Road??!

---------- Post added 01-06-2015 at 14:19 ----------

Regardless of whether he knew where the place was or not, if he is told it is on this route, he should have used his radio and found out where it was from the control desk. Either that or shouted to the other passengers to see if anyone knew...or got out his mobile and googled it - lets face it, he couldnt be bothered as per most of the drivers in Sheffield - god forbid they miss there 5 minute fag break at the terminus!

Already been mentioned by a bus driver in this thread that they can get in trouble for getting their phones out, so not the best idea even if a helpful one. Always some killjoy who can report the driver for doing it even if they are trying to help a passenger.

Rest of the suggestions are fair enough though.

There lies some of the problem, one I had noticed, one I had not. That is why I would have asked passengers to assist.

Remember, as I stated I am not from Sheffield.

This building with the lettering "South Yorkshire Police" is Attercliffe Police Station on Attercliffe Common

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.398504,-1.426616,3a,75y,128.2h,99.65t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1slXfXDxoyfvv_8oVo5Iw-Og!2e0

The EIS is the white/gray building to the left.

There is also a sign on Attercliffe Common

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.399972,-1.424476,3a,75y,177.92h,84.75t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s-lxCGhrD0FommFLMdosTfQ!2e0

Guest busdriver1
This building with the lettering "South Yorkshire Police" is Attercliffe Police Station on Attercliffe Common

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.398504,-1.426616,3a,75y,128.2h,99.65t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1slXfXDxoyfvv_8oVo5Iw-Og!2e0

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.399972,-1.424476,3a,75y,177.92h,84.75t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s-lxCGhrD0FommFLMdosTfQ!2e0

As has been pointed out, I am not from Sheffield and rarely visit the place. I have seen a building with the words South Yorkshire Police on it on Attercliffe common near Weedon Street so had assumed that was the police station. Why would you not?

I had not noticed the IOS building as I have never stopped at that stop and when driving by the building is set back and the name partially obscured by trees. I would also not have guessed that a large warehouse ( as it appears to be) was the institute of sport. I do not follow sport so it has never come on my radar and despite this thread still have no idea what function said building performs. A title like institute of sport conjures up an office type building to me so am surprised it is a factory or warehouse.

I am not now or ever have condoned the alleged actions of the driver as he was clearly not right in the way he handled it but I do take issue with those who unbelievably think a bus driver should know the function of every building he may pass in his job.

It gets even more complex when passengers ask for buildings that have not been there for 20 years. That does happen a lot.

I am sure most bus drivers reading this would agree that the way this was handled was wrong, but, it has to be realised that there is no way a driver can know all landmarks. As I said I would have asked passengers in that situation as as has been raised here most seem to know where the place is.

I have in the past encountered similar situations and always arrived at a satisfactory conclusion. Where there is a will there is a way.

The one with the large lettering, spelling out English Institute Of Sport?

Guest busdriver1
The incident starter! I'm from Scotland and even I know where the EIS is....:huh:

And that proves what?

There are plenty places I know of that you will not, that equally proves nothing.

Think some people are missing the point - dont think anyone would expect every bus driver to know every landmark (thats what this is, not just a small road) - however it was clearly the way it was handled, the lack of compassion or even interest in helping - which for me completely sums up MOST of the drivers Ive encountered. I was thrown down the stairs when getting off a bus which I had started walking down the stairs before it even got to the stop - I was 12 weeks pregnant and myself and 5 year old daughter where thrown down the stairs when he set off at break neck speed - after I got up and moved to the front - I was upset and shaken and asked the driver whey he didnt wait. He said absolutely nothing and stared ahead. no, am I ok, no sorry, nothing. The terminus (and 5 minute rest and fag stop for the driver) is 3 stops away and I know thats why he set off like Nigel Mansell. Having complained to first, they were apologetic, saying as a passenger you shouldnt even stand up or start moving down the stairs until the bus stops - they said he would be disciplined and I got a free weekly pass as the incident was caught on camera. Needless to say I didnt bother using the pass! The attitude of some drivers is absolutely disgraceful and I really hope this horrible sod gets pulled up for his attitude!

<snipped>... Having complained to first, they were apologetic, saying as a passenger you shouldnt even stand up or start moving down the stairs until the bus stops... <snipped>

Is that really what they said? :suspect:

I wonder how it's supposed to work in practice then when you're trying to get downstairs and the driver has already started to let passengers on? :(