Bus driver wouldn't help visually impaired passenger

I think if the driver knew or not where the EIS is, is probably irrelevant.

The issue was, when asked to help a vulnerable passenger he basically said no.

If he really didn’t know where it was, the decent thing to do would have been to try and find out some more information. Perhaps ask what part of town it was in or was it near anything, ask to see it on a map (we were both holding iphones), radio his control centre, shout across to another driver, ask a passenger, look in the A to Z he probably had stashed in his cab, or even just offer to look out for it as he drove along.

If he was incapable of any of those actions, he could have at least been apologetic and said “I’m really sorry, but I’m afraid I don’t know where that it is”.

But no. Even that was beyond him.

He blurted out, before I’d even finished speaking “I have absolutely no idea where that is” with a look on his face like I had just tried to relieve myself on his bus.

To the person who asked if I’d reported him – Yes, I have. It made be quite angry seeing someone be so horrible to someone else who clearly needed a little help. I haven’t heard back though.

To the person who said don’t judge Sheffield – I’m not.

I had a great time when I lived there and am very fond of the city. Its just a shame my most recent visit has been tainted by having to interact with such a callous idiot. But the fact he is driving a bus around Sheffield, does by default make him an ambassador of the city, a duty he’s unfit to perform.

I don’t think he was having a bad day, and got the impression his response would be the same for any unfortunate passenger seeking assistance or advice.

For the record, I’m pretty sure he knew where the EIS was. He drives a bus along a route that goes very close to it and said no before I’d even finished asking him.

You won't hear anything back, other than the usual platitudes.

I use the buses every day and i have real feeling for someone who doesn't know their way around.

This bus driver is a terrible ambassador for the fine city of Sheffield. Both my and, no doubt, the visually impaired young visitor from Derby’s impression of Sheffield was severely soured by this unpleasant incident.

I don't think any visually impaired visitor from Derby would be impressed by the lack of audio next stop announcements on Sheffield buses. A number of Trent Barton services there have them as do all routes in London. I am not visually impaired but I have found them to be a boon on routes I don't know well.

Edited by CheekyBandit

Guest busdriver1
To be fair he could have used his radio and asked control.

To be even fairer he didnt have to be such a dick about it.

I was not defending his actions, merely stating that I and others do not know where it is. I do on very rare occasions drive down attercliffe common but having no interest in sports take little notice of sporting establishments. I take the collective words for the fact that it is on there and should I be unfortunate enough to drive down there again will look out for it as this thread has raised a bit of curiosity over it.

What if the driver did not know where the place was? Was he suppose to just stop the bus and hopefully have a smartphone with a signal and Google the place? Should a driver know where every place is on all routes?

Guest busdriver1
But a driver who drives past it should. Is it any wonder that some bus drivers are held in high contempt when you post insensitive crap like that.

how is stating a fact insensitive? I do not know where it is, I have never had any need to know where it is.

---------- Post added 31-05-2015 at 21:56 ----------

What if the driver did not know where the place was? Was he suppose to just stop the bus and hopefully have a smartphone with a signal and Google the place? Should a driver know where every place is on all routes?

And then get disciplined for using a phone in the cab lol. Bus drivers at Rotherham cover routes from dinnington to Barnsley and Sheffield to Doncaster. Can they be expected to know every building on every route?

Not practical.

---------- Post added 31-05-2015 at 21:58 ----------

But should they do the knowledge of the place they work

See comments above.

---------- Post added 31-05-2015 at 22:04 ----------

Unfortunate incident and anyone knows where the institute is. Just past police station on attertcliffe. There is even a bus stop near there.

Any one does not know where it is. I do not for one. I live in Rotherham, I work in Rotherham, I very very rarely have to drive a bus into Sheffield. Should I take a couple of hours out before I do to learn every street I am going to pass just in case someone asks for it?

Would you be happy to wait a couple of hours whilst i did?

I agree that the incident could and should have been handled better but there are practicalities as well. Can I assume that it is near the retail park as I recall a police building opposite there?

No Tim1, but he could have tried to help a near blind passenger get to where he was trying to.

We had all the information he needed but he made no effort to help.

Why are you trying to defend such a heartless idiot?

If you or someone in your family was in a similar position wouldn't you want or expect a little bit of help?

No Tim1, but he could have tried to help a near blind passenger get to where he was trying to.

If you or someone in your family was in a similar position wouldn't you want or expect a little bit of help?

I am not defending anyone except common sense! Do you think a bus driver has time to help find where all or even any passengers need to alight? If someone stopped me in the street and asked me I would have my phone and iPad so would do my best to try and help but if I was driving a bus with other passengers on board trying to stick to a timetable and dealing with other passengers getting on and off it would be the last thing I would do. Why the heck did the gentleman not have all the information to hand. Surely this should be the question. When I went to Manchester and London I did all the research in advance of where my hotel was and which team/tube stations were the ones I needed to be. Surely someone with sight impairment who already said the had a chaperone on other visits to other places did not get help befor setting off!

I was not defending his actions, merely stating that I and others do not know where it is. I do on very rare occasions drive down attercliffe common but having no interest in sports take little notice of sporting establishments. I take the collective words for the fact that it is on there and should I be unfortunate enough to drive down there again will look out for it as this thread has raised a bit of curiosity over it.

If the OP is correct in his post, he asked for the chap to be put off at "Coleridge Road" specifically. As far as I'm aware, the bus stops on Attercliffe Common are named.

Guess what the one outside the Institute of Sport is called;

Google Street View

Yes you got it first time- Coleridge Road.

I am not defending anyone except common sense! Do you think a bus driver has time to help find where all or even any passengers need to alight? If someone stopped me in the street and asked me I would have my phone and iPad so would do my best to try and help but if I was driving a bus with other passengers on board trying to stick to a timetable and dealing with other passengers getting on and off it would be the last thing I would do. Why the heck did the gentleman not have all the information to hand. Surely this should be the question. When I went to Manchester and London I did all the research in advance of where my hotel was and which team/tube stations were the ones I needed to be. Surely someone with sight impairment who already said the had a chaperone on other visits to other places did not get help befor setting off!

The issue as I see it here is not the fact that the bus driver didn't know where the stop was or should have known where the stop was but his attitude towards the passenger. A bit of civility should have been expected.

Not every passenger needs assistance in the way this gentleman did, most of us have the privilege of sight, and can read the street signs.

I have loads of friends with visual impairments who can travel independently, with minor assistance, such as that requested of the driver in the instance involving this man.

---------- Post added 01-06-2015 at 00:01 ----------

Hear, hear!

The institute of sport is hardly a small place. If he doesn't konw where that is on his route he is clearly :loopy:

The institute of sport is hardly a small place. If he doesn't konw where that is on his route he is clearly :loopy:

Lol I have never heard of the place !