Bus driver wouldn't help visually impaired passenger

So reference was made to the police station where does that fit in?

Coleridge road seems to be a long way from the police station.

Depends if you think just under 500ft is "a long way", I guess...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/53.3994798,-1.4250419/53.3985264,-1.4264569/@53.3987885,-1.4278547,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!4m1!3e2

Guest busdriver1

Just checked on google maps and street view. The IOS or whatever is a large shed type building with the name obscured by trees about one mile from the police station. No wonder i have never registered it.

To me, the institute of sport suggests an office of some sorts not a warehouse type building.

One mile? Think you need to check again! Dear me.

I wont quote your above post, just edit it to avoid embarrassment and we shall say no more....

I wont quote your above post, just edit it to avoid embarrassment and we shall say no more....

:hihi:

Maybe he's a taxi driver in his spare time? ;)

It's a good job he doesnt do the 69 route, that's for sure :D

A direct quote from the First website regarding recruitment for bus drivers

Are you passionate about Customer Service? Do you aim to bring professional, high quality service to all customers? Do you wish to join a company that puts their employees first?

Being a driver at First Group is about much more than being a driver. It’s about putting your customer service skills to work and really looking after your passengers, no matter who they are, or where they’re headed.

So I would say that was an epic fail on behalf of that bus driver!

Edited by BlondieS6
additon

So I would say that was an epic fail on behalf of that bus driver!

Which one? There are two bus drivers that have failed in this thread :D

do the 69 route
is that a euphemism?

is that a euphemism?

Ooh matron! :hihi:

This shows how unhelpful the driver was.

I asked him to tell the guy when he got to the English Institute of Sport on Coleridge Road.

The bus stop is called Coleridge Road and it is right next to a huge building with massive signage clearly reading "English Institute of Sport"

Anyone trying to defend the drivers actions should probably be quiet from this point onwards.

Why? Are people not allowed to have opinions contrary to yours?

He knew exactly where it was, but would not tell a nearly blind man when he got there.

What a grim human being. No if's or but's

Did he really know where it was? That's basically the question. I used to walk down Eccleshall road road every day for three years at Uni but I doubt I would have know where every road name off of it was.

There's no road signage for Coleridge road. The signs on the warehouse building are not easy to see because of the trees, and it looks like part of the retail park to be honest.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3996,-1.42501,3a,75y,184.16h,79.37t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sORW8sV153ZIwJD_o2pQhgw!2e0!6m1!1e1

Is a bus driver really expected to do the Knowledge for Sheffield..?

If he did know though then it's unreasonable for him not to assist the part sighted passenger, if only by shouting out when you've got to your destination. I've never met a bus driver yet that wouldnt help in such a manner.

Edited by Obelix

No, a "bigot" is someone who is intolerant of other peoples opinions, as you have shown yourself to be. Bigots can be helpful people and a bigot could indeed help a partially sighted person around Sheffield. I am glad you hve admitted your bigotry. It is a personality flaw and now you have accepted that it is a floor you have, you can work on it. People are all different and will formulate different opinions to you even when reviewing the same incident. In future, please try not to tell people to "be quiet from now on", just because they politely state they have a different opinion to you.

The fact the person is blind has no bearing on the drivers ability to help. He said he didn't know where EIS is. The fact that the person who wanted to get there was blind is irrelevant if the diver really couldn't help.

What would you do if a blind person stopped and asked you a question you didn't know the answer to?

Thanks for pointing out my “bigotry”, I’ll work on that going forward.

Yes, I probably shouldn’t have suggested people keep quiet, but the point I was trying to make, perhaps a little too forcefully was the bus drivers behaviour was in my (humble) opinion indefensible.

For 2 reasons

1) If he honestly didn’t know where it was, he should have made some effort to help the passenger. In my opinion any decent person would do that.

2) There is a bus stop called Coleridge Road, right next to a huge complex of buildings with a big sign on the front saying “English Institute of sport”. He drives a bus past it. He knew exactly where it was.

To answer your question about what would I do if a blind person asked me a question I didn’t know the answer to - I would try to help, or at the very least be polite to them. That's why i walked over to the bus station with him, and helped him get on a bus.

What would you do?

The driver did neither.

Someone else pointed out, you only have 1 side of the story. That is of course correct, but would add, there’s not really much of an incentive for me to make this up

Of course, you can misconstrue a situation, but I didn’t.

He was rude and unhelpful to someone who couldn’t see.

That is the tragedy of this, and any debate about whether he knew where it was, or whether I’m a bigot or not, doesn’t change this one simple fact.

He could and should have made an effort to help a vulnerable passenger

I'm quite surprised that people are trying to make excuses for his behaviour.

But if people on here believe that the appropriate response to a request for help for a nearly blind person is to basically say no, then fair enough, that's your opinion.

Its not mine though

I found the incident quite shocking, as I really felt for the poor bloke who was trying to navigate a strange city.

Edited by Paulstac
fixed quote

Guest busdriver1

according to google maps it is 0.9 mile

---------- Post added 01-06-2015 at 12:07 ----------

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.406867,-1.413315,3a,75y,249.63h,90.78t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s_9m1OvMJQbD5wmTyZkEnmA!2e0

So there are 2 police stations on Attercliffe common? The only one I had seen was next to Weedon street, 0.9 miles away.

Edited by busdriver1