Bus driver wouldn't help visually impaired passenger

If the OP is correct in his post, he asked for the chap to be put off at "Coleridge Road" specifically. As far as I'm aware, the bus stops on Attercliffe Common are named.

Guess what the one outside the Institute of Sport is called;

Yes you got it first time- Coleridge Road.

This shows how unhelpful the driver was.

I asked him to tell the guy when he got to the English Institute of Sport on Coleridge Road.

The bus stop is called Coleridge Road and it is right next to a huge building with massive signage clearly reading "English Institute of Sport"

Anyone trying to defend the drivers actions should probably be quiet from this point onwards.

He knew exactly where it was, but would not tell a nearly blind man when he got there.

What a grim human being. No if's or but's

This shows how unhelpful the driver was.

I asked him to tell the guy when he got to the English Institute of Sport on Coleridge Road.

The bus stop is called Coleridge Road and it is right next to a huge building with massive signage clearly reading "English Institute of Sport"

Anyone trying to defend the drivers actions should probably be quiet from this point onwards.

He knew exactly where it was, but would not tell a nearly blind man when he got there.

What a grim human being. No if's or but's

You are being a bigot. Just because people have a different view of things to you gives you know right to suggest they "be quiet". You came on this forum to rant about perceived rudeness when it is in fact you being rude.

You have judged a human being's total worth on an interaction that must have lasted less then 20 seconds. Lovely person you must be.

You do not know anything about the driver's individual situation. He may have been covering the route and really not know where EIS was. You then continued to ask him the same question after he said he had no idea. I would be annoyed at you too.

If your attitude to the driver was even half as bad as the attitude you have displayed on this thread then there is no wonder he reacted in the way you are describing.

In future, please try to understand that not everyone reacts well to rudeness and not everyone knows all the information you require. When you are a visitor to a place it is important that you respect the locals.

Have a great holiday and try not to offend anyone in the peaks :)

Just seen a very friendly helpful driver yesterday, maybe that 69 driver should spend a day with him for customer training?

You are being a bigot. Just because people have a different view of things to you gives you know right to suggest they "be quiet". You came on this forum to rant about perceived rudeness when it is in fact you being rude.

You have judged a human being's total worth on an interaction that must have lasted less then 20 seconds. Lovely person you must be.

You do not know anything about the driver's individual situation. He may have been covering the route and really not know where EIS was. You then continued to ask him the same question after he said he had no idea. I would be annoyed at you too.

If your attitude to the driver was even half as bad as the attitude you have displayed on this thread then there is no wonder he reacted in the way you are describing.

In future, please try to understand that not everyone reacts well to rudeness and not everyone knows all the information you require. When you are a visitor to a place it is important that you respect the locals.

Have a great holiday and try not to offend anyone in the peaks :)

You'd be annoyed if someone asked you to help a blind person?

You are indeed a charmer

if a "bigot" is someone who is intolerant to rude and unhelpful members of society, then yes I'm a bigot.

Slightly odd way to describe someone who has tried to help a partially sighted person around Sheffield

Maybe I am ranting a little, but i found this guys behaviour way below what I would expect from any decent person.

I think not knowing where the EIS was is just about forgiveable, the attitude isnt though.

Also bear in mind if it was a 69 driver at Sheffield bus station, he probably would have driven past the EIS on the inward journey......

Guest busdriver1

I will have driven past it countless times but am still not sure where it is other than its on attercliffe common hear the police station so assume it must be on or near Weedon Street.

I tend to spend a high volume of my time concentrating on driving whether I am in a car or a bus.

To put things in context here, the driver handled this badly, there is no doubt if the OP is to be believed. Please remember that we have only one side of the story here. The names on bus stops are very small and not readable from the cab unless you are actually stopped at the stop. Service 69 is currently suffering major delays due to the canal bridge works near Tinsley Island.

Add all these together and an open minded person may be less critical of the situation. I for one have no idea where many offices / businesses are particularly in Sheffield that I visit as little as possible. The area round Weedon Street / Attercliffe common has numerous buildings on it that are not clearly marked so it could have been any of these. Personally I would have asked the passengers if any of them could assist as I would not want to give out wrong information. I am also aware that being a little while down the route I potentially could forget to alert the passenger, particularly at the minute due to the roadworks adding a lot of time pressure.

Certainly if it went as the OP suggests the driver appears to have been below standard at least on that occasion, but, we only have one side of it here.

Edited by busdriver1

To be fair, I would not know where that is either.

The driver should have adequate knowledge of the route he/she is operating. Given that route knowledge of other forms of public transport requires knowing every inch and where things are before the driver can see them I find it hard to defend the bus driver. Had the bus been equipped with audio next stop announcements like every train I have used for the past 30 years then this wouldn't have been a problem.

I will have driven past it countless times but am still not sure where it is other than its on attercliffe common hear the police station so assume it must be on or near Weedon Street.

I tend to spend a high volume of my time concentrating on driving whether I am in a car or a bus.

First right onto coleridge road off Attercliffe Common. First big building on right. Opposite Ice.

You'd be annoyed if someone asked you to help a blind person?

You are indeed a charmer

if a "bigot" is someone who is intolerant to rude and unhelpful members of society, then yes I'm a bigot.

Slightly odd way to describe someone who has tried to help a partially sighted person around Sheffield

Maybe I am ranting a little, but i found this guys behaviour way below what I would expect from any decent person.

No, a "bigot" is someone who is intolerant of other peoples opinions, as you have shown yourself to be. Bigots can be helpful people and a bigot could indeed help a partially sighted person around Sheffield. I am glad you hve admitted your bigotry. It is a personality flaw and now you have accepted that it is a floor you have, you can work on it. People are all different and will formulate different opinions to you even when reviewing the same incident. In future, please try not to tell people to "be quiet from now on", just because they politely state they have a different opinion to you.

The fact the person is blind has no bearing on the drivers ability to help. He said he didn't know where EIS is. The fact that the person who wanted to get there was blind is irrelevant if the diver really couldn't help.

What would you do if a blind person stopped and asked you a question you didn't know the answer to?

---------- Post added 01-06-2015 at 10:27 ----------

The driver should have adequate knowledge of the route he/she is operating. Given that route knowledge of other forms of public transport requires knowing every inch and where things are before the driver can see them I find it hard to defend the bus driver. Had the bus been equipped with audio next stop announcements like every train I have used for the past 30 years then this wouldn't have been a problem.

How do you know the driver isn't just covering the route?

Guest busdriver1

So you want drivers to learn every building on routes from Dinnington, to Barnsley and Doncaster to Sheffield? You will have a very long wait for your bus whilst they go out and learn that. The only form of transport that requires route knowledge is train travel and that does not require the driver knowing passing buildings, just the track layouts.

The bus does not have audio announcements, on a train these are made by the guard who is not involved in driving the train. On a bus there is no equivalent person. The tram system has it I believe but given the very limited nature of its routes that is fairly easy to install.

What would you do if a blind person stopped and asked you a question you didn't know the answer to?

Well, given you are addressing the OP here, who didnt know the answer to the question "where do I catch the 69 bus from", went out of his way to go down to the bus station to find out the answer and then waited with the blind person until the bus came, why do you even need to ask that question? :D

Guest busdriver1
First right onto coleridge road off Attercliffe Common. First big building on right. Opposite Ice.

So reference was made to the police station where does that fit in?

Coleridge road seems to be a long way from the police station.