Former pub at 18 Holly Street behind City Hall. Any Info about it?

Excuse me for the curious nature of this thread, but I am looking around Sheffield on behalf of a friend who is looking for a licensed or licensable premises to buy or lease as a bar/pub concern, and I have noticed the property, clearly a former pub, at 18 Holly Street, behind Sheffield City Hall. I seem to remember it used to be a pub until a few years ago, but it now has blanked out windows and I cannot recall the name. The property appears to be empty, but it migght actually be still in use for some function, such as extra space for the beauty salon upstairs over the hairdressers around the corner on West Street.

Does anyone know who owns it, and if so, are they likely to lease it out as a pub/bar again? What was it originally called, out of interest? Has anyone else tried to reopen it as a pub recently, or has the licence actually been revoked, and is the premises no longer permitted to be a pub/bar?

Any help on these matters woul be most welcome, as it seems a great shame that a convenient site for a pub/bar next to the entertainment venue of City Hall has been allowed to just fall into disuse.:help:

The pub was the Red Lion, it was a rock bar hence all the purple on the outside. Before that it was a tradition pub. No idea who owns it now been closed roughly since 2010.

Many Thanks, Crooked Spire; I thought it had been a rock music pub until not so many years ago. Whoever owns it would certainly have to look at its potential as a pub again, as they will pick up a lot of passing trade, whatever theme or style a tenant will adopt for the place.

Do keep more information coming, any of you out there who know anything more about whether it is up for lease, etc.

It later became Flares, accessed from The Reflex.

yer the pub was the red lion a great pub the landlord would dress as freddy mercury and sing queen songs he was brilliant used to go there when doing the west street pub crawl had some good times on that crawl no trouble just good fun x

Yes it was the Red Lion pub.It was a Stones pub Perhaps they might know who owns it.Incidently,of all the pubs on West St.that was the best one and busiest and would have been the last one anyone would have thought would close.Don't know what went wrong.

A bit more information for you, the pub's proper name is 'Old Red Lion', built in 1822 had a big make over in the 1980s their is photos of the inside on 'Picture Sheffield '.

Jack and Alan Cooper's Dad ran it in the old days I believe...old days being the 50/60's.

I thought when Reflex was in a previous incarnation (Edwards?) the two were knocked together and you could get from the Red Lion into the other.

Was 20 years ago though so could be totally wrong

I thought when Reflex was in a previous incarnation (Edwards?) the two were knocked together and you could get from the Red Lion into the other.

Was 20 years ago though so could be totally wrong

Correct used to go in regularly in the late 70's early 80's when Frank & Dot had it and we all used to drink in the back yard. Then it was revamped in the late 80's and Edwards was opened and you used to walk from one to the other. Chuck from The Golden Ball and latterly The 3 Cranes had it at one bit when they had the steaks self cooking on the hot stones but were stopped by the council on H & S grounds

Correct used to go in regularly in the late 70's early 80's when Frank & Dot had it and we all used to drink in the back yard. Then it was revamped in the late 80's and Edwards was opened and you used to walk from one to the other. Chuck from The Golden Ball and latterly The 3 Cranes had it at one bit when they had the steaks self cooking on the hot stones but were stopped by the council on H & S grounds

Is this the same Frank and Dot that had the Claymore (Arundel Gate) and later the Wicker Brewery (the Hole in the Wall, Saville Street) ?